Why become a member? ×

Road Worn P bass?

diskwave

Hi Everybody

New member here...what a great site? Anyway I was wondering where all the RW P basses have gone...I bought one when they first came out and stupidly sold it, biggest regret ever, but can I find another one?....had no idea they were that popular even though I remember it being very nice.

Cheers

4 minutes ago, dave74200 said:

There's a Fiesta Red one for sale on Facebook at the moment. I have a sunburst one and absolutely love it. It just plays so amazingly.

Don't remind me....still kicking myself. My thinking was that it was gimmicky and would never increase in value....what a twit!  hands down the sweetest bass guitar I've ever picked up, and Id tried a few 60's examples. 

• Like 1

The roadworn P has been discontinued for at least a year now I think.

A shop close to me has a sunburst languishing on the rack for the past 2+ years at €1399, which I think is over priced. They're a great bass and I'd love to own one, but they're not worth more than 1k in my opinion. 

Edited by Bassmingo

1 minute ago, Bassmingo said:

A shop close to me has a sunburst languishing on the rack for the past 2+ years at €1300, which I think is over priced. They're a great bass and I'd love to own one, but they're not worth more than 1k in my opinion. 

If you haven't already, why not make them an offer if it's been there a while?

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

I often wonder where my ‘50s one with added P pickup ended up. It had awful neck dive as the body was so light.

Mine was a little neck heavy but I put some gotoh lightweight tuners on and a badass bridge. Balances great now! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jonse said:

Mine was a little neck heavy but I put some gotoh lightweight tuners on and a badass bridge. Balances great now! 

That would’ve been the smart move for me really, but I wanted to keep the tarnished, reverse tuners. I let it go when I went all 5 string, of corse now I’m back with fours again :facepalm:.

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

That would’ve been the smart move for me really, but I wanted to keep the tarnished, reverse tuners. I let it go when I went all 5 string, of corse now I’m back with fours again :facepalm:.

Yeah I held off from changing them for a long time because I like the aged look. I ended up ageing the gotoh tuners in vinegar fumes. I don't have a picture right now but they turned out pretty nice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bassmingo said:

A shop close to me has a sunburst languishing on the rack for the past 2+ years at €1399, which I think is over priced. They're a great bass and I'd love to own one, but they're not worth more than 1k in my opinion. 

Not worth over 1k based on what?

4 hours ago, Jonse said:

If you haven't already, why not make them an offer if it's been there a while?

Because I've seven basses, can't afford another, don't have the room and there's nothing I own I want to part with right now to pay for it. 

35 minutes ago, dave74200 said:

Not worth over 1k based on what?

Based on me trying it out. Sure I loved how it played, the fact that it was roadworn didn't really matter to me, apart from the feeling in the back of the neck. It's not a 1400 quid bass in my opinion, it's a 1k bass, tops. 

I could buy a vintera and go at it with some steel wool and save myself 500 quid. 

• 4 weeks later...

Another regretful seller right here! Fiesta red jazz was beautiful to play. Such a mistake to sell.

However... In case you've not seen there's a fresh wave of them coming to go along with the 60th anniversary jazz. I saw this picture the other day. 

I'm waiting for them to release details of the new RW Precision as well - I am an absolute sucker for a matching headstock, so here's hoping they keep that idea rolling.

Screenshot_20200811-225057__01.jpg

• Like 2