Why become a member? ×

Strap Heaven

Happy Jack

It's a dangerous place, the Internet.

10 years ago I was experimenting with 'clever' straps intended to reduce the number of back problems I was getting. At the time I was mainly playing 9lb basses and above - but not too much above.

I tried a variety of double-shoulder straps by people like Dare and the Slider system used by US postmen (stop sniggering) but eventually decided that the only real solution was to buy lighter basses and combine them with a Comfort Strapp on every bass. This led directly to my obsession with instruments from Mike Lull, and my enormous collection of Comfort Strapps. I've used them exclusively for years now.

I still have three Lull basses, and they're still very light, but I have also ended up playing a 9.5lb Rickenbacker as my frontline bass in  my main band. Thanks to Pilates I am now in way better shape than I was 10 years ago, but it can still be hard work playing a 3-setter with the Rick so I thought I'd have another look at double-shoulder straps.

And I found this.

Rickenbacker.thumb.jpg.3e7bfb7777985d0af832898f7f036778.jpg

The leather is thick, padded, soft & sumptuous ... it's just a really lovely thing and it feels great on the shoulders. The double-shoulder system works exactly as I'd hoped, and there's no 'scissor' effect with the two sides trying to dig into my neck - this was a problem with some of the nylon straps I tried previously. And of course, much as I love my Comfort Strapps, there's no denying that this is far better looking.

The strap is the Spider by EVO in Brazil and it cost US$160 plus $45 for shipping with DHL. That ain't cheap, but the guy behind Evo (Eric Silva) offered me a second strap (a Riviera) at half price, down from $130 to $65. I wasn't sure what I would use it for, but I bought it anyway. On arrival, serendipity cut in big time, and it turned out to be a perfect match for my Safran Iris Custom.

Safran.thumb.jpg.8cb4f53ed08a0a2110f57d87d34a06b2.jpg

It's another beautiful strap, the leather is soft and supple and very comfortable on the shoulder, and the C&W styling works perfectly with the bass. Not to mention the colour!

Well now of course I'm on a roll, and I've been looking through Eric's designs, and I realise that a classic disco strap would be a perfect match for the Gus G3 that I bought recently from @BigRedX. The bass is so completely over the top that it cries out for a look-at-me strap, and I have fond memories of @MacDaddy's rather battered disco strap. This one is a Comfort (not to be confused with Comfort Strapp) and cost $120 plus $45 shipping.

Gus.thumb.jpg.4298379132952fc6e003dab43fe21f69.jpg

Once again it made sense to do the 50% for the second strap thing and save on shipping, and my 1965 Precision deserved some pampering, so I bought another one, this time in gold.

Fender.thumb.jpg.4f93fd4bfaafc504feef1555bf5543f7.jpg

On the subject of shipping, and having suffered many times with getting stuff shipped from the USA, I was genuinely startled at the transit times from Brazil. The first pair of straps took just six days to get here following payment; the second pair of straps took an unbelievable FOUR days.

Eric is a pleasure to deal with, and there's no 5-hour time difference to negotiate so communication is 'real time'.

Highly recommended.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, chris_b said:

This is just a thinly disguised excuse to start a "look at my great basses" thread.

I'm not sure I noticed the straps at all.

Yeah, those are just Photoshopped Comfort Strapps if I'm not mistaken. Sneaky, @Happy Jack, sneaky. 😂

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Jakester said:

And hope you don’t play anywhere with a ceiling higher than about 10ft.. 😂

Hmm. Good point. I suppose you'd really need to carry some sort of scaffolding framework to cover any eventuality. 

• Haha 1

On 22/07/2020 at 00:18, stewblack said:

Why would you go to all that trouble Jack? When this elegant and simple solution has already been devised... 

Hanging yourself is a guarantied solution to not only heavy basses, but all live's problems, unfortunately no one has yet succeeded in inventing a counter solution to the pretty grave side effect of death it tends to come with, so it should be seen as an absolute last resort solution.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 1