Why become a member? ×

Clip-on Tuner

TwoTimesBass

Hi all,

Not wanting to start a 'best amp/strings/pickup' type thread, but is there a clip-on tuner out there I should be looking at buying instead of another Snark, specifically for DBass?

Mine was 'borrowed' by someone at my last jam session before lockdown, and I'm not sure it will be there when we get together again 😞

I like the Snark in general, but the battery type is a PITA and getting harder to find and increasingly expensive, any good rechargeable ones? Any that come with a length of anchor chain to attach to the endpin? 😁

The 3 best clip-on tuners are the TC Electronic UniTune, the TC Electronic PolyTune if you can find them as they seem to have disappeared from 5he shelves or the excellent Peterson StroboClip HD (if you like the strobo tuning).

Don't forget to read the manual as they all have a dedicated bass mode.

They will certainly look expensive, but they are simply the best ones available on the market.

• Like 3

One thing I have experienced with clip on tuners on my DB’s is location, location, location.

Some work on the scroll, others don’t, some work better on the bridge. So try a variety of placements before judging too harshly. 
Ref Snarks, I find they eat batteries at an alarming rate, and are as ugly as an ugly thing form ugly land. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I’ve had two Snark tuners break too, so interested in this!

2 hours ago, oldslapper said:

Ref Snarks, I find they eat batteries at an alarming rate, and are as ugly as an ugly thing form ugly land. 

Interesting, I thought it was just me. My first Snark had a structural failure on the plastic clip which rendered it useless, and I'd also noticed the battery life issue.

OK, time for something new then ...

• Like 1

OK, agreed that the TC tuners are both unavailable at present (not that I'd need a poly tuner anyway) it seems the Peterson is the way to go, despite the vomit-inducing corporate videos that they submit you to when trying to find out more. 

Ordered from DV247 ... we shall see.

• Like 3

We've used a Snark since they were offered, on a 6-string fretless. No issues whatever; no later than yesterday I put in a new battery, for the first time in a couple of years. An easy job (slide out tray, remove duff battery, insert fresh battery, slide tray back, check it works and turn it off. By coincidence, it uses the same battery as my insulin-test kit (a very common CR-something-or-other...) which I always have to hand, so no waiting to get stock in. No complaints here... B| 

I've used a  bass Snark for years (I got it when I was in a jazz trio that ended in 2014).  No problems with battery life or bits falling off, although young Rev did chew off one of the rubber bits on the clip.

I find it works best on the bridge of my laminate bass and the scroll of my carved bass.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to round this out and say thanks for all the input, I went better-the-devil-you-know and bought another Snark. Although I was tempted by the TC stuff, but as @Hellzero pointed out not in stock most places.

Oh, and found a can of pink spray paint which will hopefully mean it's less likely to end up on someone else's instrument without being noticing 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1