Why become a member? ×

Bye bye, Q Magazine.

NancyJohnson

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/20/q-magazine-to-fold-after-34-years

Stopped reading this over ten years ago and was a little surprised to find out it was still limping along.  I guess they never adapted to a changing world; everything was effectively a month old by the time it went to print.  Too much reliance on a handful of artistes (Gallaghers, Sheeran, U2) and a bunch of other ones that really weren't much cop. 

Q Magazine is (was) the tangible embodiment of Later...with Jools Holland, a publication full of bands you're not really interested in and something you just skim through hoping to find something worth reading.

Edited by NancyJohnson
(was)
  • Like 8

Used to love Q when it first came out. We subscribed at the bar I ran and had quite an impressive, well thumbed collection by the time I left 13 years later. 

Sadly I suspect the above description is all too accurate. 

• Like 1

My ambition over the years when I had a subscription, was to win the Q Crossword. Then one September I was doing the crossword and happened to notice my name as one of the winners for the Carling Leeds Festival tickets , which had happened a couple of weeks earlier! I gave them a ring and they admitted a mess-up and I was sent 48 cans of Carling and a promise to next years Festival ( which Carling stopped sponsoring so never happened).

However they said in the meantime I could have 2 tickets to a gig at any of the Carling venues that were dotted around the country, went to see The Feeling at Newcastle. I  also got sent a special framed copy of their 1000th Cover of which only 100 were printed and were quite rare.

I now do the Mojo Crossword but during lockdown they have stopped the prizes and nowadays everyone can look up the answers on t'net.....

A mighty fine publication in the 80s and 90s, the Danny Kelly editorial years being particularly good. Tom Hibbert's "Who the Hell Does..... ?" articles were brilliant at pricking the pomposity and arrogance of many a celeb. Sad to read about its demise, but it had a good run. Been a while since I purchased a copy, think I bailed out when they put Take That on the cover.

54 minutes ago, upside downer said:

A mighty fine publication in the 80s and 90s, the Danny Kelly editorial years being particularly good. Tom Hibbert's "Who the Hell Does..... ?" articles were brilliant at pricking the pomposity and arrogance of many a celeb. Sad to read about its demise, but it had a good run. Been a while since I purchased a copy, think I bailed out when they put Take That on the cover.

I was in a band with Tom Hibbert (RIP). His dad was a celebrated historian, his brother Jimmy frontman of pseudo-punks Alberto y los Trios Paranoias. And the voice of Count Duckula...

Tom was a very clever writer and a funny guy. Thanks for reminding me of him.

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 5

Q was the publication when it came out. Well written,  funny, and covered music I liked and music I didn't, but then went off to explore.

But as others here said, it seemed to get narrower in focus, less interesting, and the last time I picked up a copy two years ago it seemed rather dated. Sad to see it go though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Sign of the times, sadly. When I were a lad, a magazine about queues and queuing would have been essential reading. Now it's all barging in and "can I get a...". Bloody foreign millennials.

No, you mean 'Cue', the monthly Snooker and Billiards magazine for the working man.

• Haha 1

No, no, and thrice no..! It's the magazine for tipping the nod to speakers and singers (operatic, especially...) so that they come in on cue. Actors use it sparingly, and with teleprompters, the journal's demise is easily explained. :|

1 minute ago, Dad3353 said:

No, no, and thrice no..! It's the magazine for tipping the nod to speakers and singers (operatic, especially...) so that they come in on cue. Actors use it sparingly, and with teleprompters, the journal's demise is easily explained. :|

Pretty good for wacking a snooker ball too.....

5 hours ago, stewblack said:

Used to love Q when it first came out. We subscribed at the bar I ran and had quite an impressive, well thumbed collection by the time I left 13 years later. 

Sadly I suspect the above description is all too accurate. 

Yep, the world is changing quickly at the moment, and there are a lot of good people getting caught out by it :(

3 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

I was in a band with Tom Hibbert (RIP). His dad was a celebrated historian, his brother Jimmy frontman of pseudo-punks Alberto y los Trios Paranoias. And the voice of Count Duckula...

Tom was a very clever writer and a funny guy. Thanks for reminding me of him.

WHAT? YOU WERE IN THE VALIDATORS AAAAAAAARGH