Why become a member? ×

Tapered off the shelf strings.?

bubinga5

I have some Newtone strings that have a tappered B E A string at the bridge on a 35 scale Lakland 5594. Great strings. I was wondering what other strings are available with the tapered B E A string in this spec.??. I believe this set are a custom set. I have called Newtone but have had no answer understandably. I want stainless steal hex core.

16 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

I have some Newtone strings that have a tappered B E A string at the bridge on a 35 scale Lakland 5594. Great strings. I was wondering what other strings are available with the tapered B E A string in this spec.??. I believe this set are a custom set. I have called Newtone but have had no answer understandably. I want stainless steal hex core.

Have you tried emailing them? You might have more luck. 

• Like 1

I had a set of D'addarios like these ones.

Five string set 43-127: https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/string-sets-c865/bass-guitar-c34/daddario-5-string-prosteel-stainless-43-127-tapered-long-scale-bass-strings-p9768

Stainless steel and hex core. Not sure if they come in other gauges. As far as I can remember all the gauges are tapered though, so if you need an untapered G you might need to buy another single: 

I like D'addarios and they don't break the bank either. It is easy to order single strings to make up a custom set that usually costs less than a 'custom order' set from boutique string makers. I personally prefer D'addarios to the Newtones I ordered but appreciate I might be in the minority. These days though I have moved to Elixirs nickels with just a tapered B at 130. It is my favourite B string, partly because of the sound, mostly though because it lasts for ages. In practice I discovered that I 'needed' a tapered B, From experimenting I found that I didn't really like tapered strings for E and higher, but that is just personal preference. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ped said:

(Ken) Smith Taper Core strings are like that, except the D and G strings. Info down this page

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/strings/master-series/

I've never tried them and not sure if the core is hex.

I've used Ken Smith strings on a wide variety of basses over the years and love them. They last me a long time (and I like a decent amount of zing to the string 🙂 ) and are not flabbly like some strings. Usually use the TCRM and TCRML 5's with the tapered B, E & A. A quick check online said they are hex core.

TCRML-5 Taper Core-Medium Light .044 .063 .080T .102T .125T  
TCRM-5 Taper Core-Medium .044 .063 .084T .106T .130T
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Roger2611 said:

Labella do the Super Step strings, I have them on a couple of basses at the moment, nice strings but not cheap

The LaBella Super Steps are not tapered cores, but exposed cores. These are my favourites : ultra precise intonation and all the harmonics.

If you have a 36 inches scale bass or a 35 inches one, try the Fodera Anthony Jackson set. I costs a lot, but these are amazing strings.

• Like 1

I recently fitted an old, but unopened, set of Fender nickel round strings to a bass I've just sold. The B and E were tapered and they were really quite nice. 

Unfortunately I can't remember what they were.