Why become a member? ×

Ritter basses

Thunderbird

9 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Obviously not, we all have our tastes.

If I could ever afford a Ritter Roya I would get one, it is pretty well a dream bass for me. There is no bass made as beautiful as one of those

But sadly out of my league!

I'd have a Roya, too, if I could afford one. I like that firey red finish Jens does. But then there's this one I found on Talkbass, made with quilted Bubinga. An absolute dream, certainly at that price!

These are bespoke instruments aren’t they? So rather than criticise a massively talented bass builder, question the tastes of some of his customers!

If you’ve got almost £10k to drop on a hand-built bass I imagine you’d be confident in your choice.

36 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

These are bespoke instruments aren’t they? So rather than criticise a massively talented bass builder, question the tastes of some of his customers!

If you’ve got almost £10k to drop on a hand-built bass I imagine you’d be confident in your choice.

Not critising anyone I said it was my personal opinion geez

Just now, Thunderbird said:

Not critising anyone I said it was my personal opinion geez

Ritter basses cover such a wide spectrum that Ritters I have actually played include one of the ugliest things I've ever seen (it looked a lot like the ejected placenta just after a cow has given birth) and also one of the most beautiful basses I've ever touched, so I think I get where you're coming from.

What is beyond doubt IMHO is that they play sublimely, all of them. They're not just works of art, they are actually very practical and playable instruments too. Even the placenta ... I took it off the wall at Bass Gear in Twyford simply because it looked so appalling, then I plugged it in and played it for a while. I damned near ended up buying the thing.

3 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Ritter basses cover such a wide spectrum that Ritters I have actually played include one of the ugliest things I've ever seen (it looked a lot like the ejected placenta just after a cow has given birth) and also one of the most beautiful basses I've ever touched, so I think I get where you're coming from.

Which model was the placenta? I guess they used a different name in production :D

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Which model was the placenta? I guess they used a different name in production :D

I actually did a quick Google to see if I could find an Image of that particular bass, figuring that something that distinctive might well be online somewhere. No joy, I'm afraid, but I suppose that @molan might remember it?

While I've got little desire to own a Ritter, I have to say that that from a visual aesthetic, there's nothing not to like.  I do love the look of Warner Brother/Simpsons/X-Men finishes (I'd be hard pushed to actually come up with any franchise that I'd want adorned on a bass costing £7/£8K), but this one in particular blows my mind:

1045-1.jpg

I reckon Jens just sees bass and guitar building as a playground and anything goes.  Credit to him for making instrumenst athat are so nuts to be honest.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

1045-1.jpg

I reckon Jens just sees bass and guitar building as a playground and anything goes.  Credit to him for making instrumenst athat are so nuts to be honest.

I love those, and to be more honest, I love that someone is making those.

I view it the same as high fashion anyway, like the clothes on a catwalk at a fashion show are not meant for general use, they are there to show ideas and directions as to the way fashions are going, they are there for the purpose of art itself. And Jens basses are the same.

Although I would love one, I would look stupid playing it because I don't look good enough to pull it off, I am not the right model for the fashion :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drax said:

Great to meet you brother! I’m almost phobic about them, revolting things 

Beans are vile.

The only possible good thing about the 'thing we cannot talk about' is that Haricot beans are not grown in the UK and there's a really good chance the import costs and thus cost of a tin of baked beans will go through the roof to the point where anyone who makes them has to discontinue that product line.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I love those, and to be more honest, I love that someone is making those.

I view it the same as high fashion anyway, like the clothes on a catwalk at a fashion show are not meant for general use, they are there to show ideas and directions as to the way fashions are going, they are there for the purpose of art itself. And Jens basses are the same.

Although I would love one, I would look stupid playing it because I don't look good enough to pull it off, I am not the right model for the fashion :)

I just see that bass and think of bands like early Living Colour.  Muzzy could have pulled that off.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

The only possible good thing about the 'thing we cannot talk about' is that Haricot beans are not grown in the UK and there's a really good chance the import costs and thus cost of a tin of baked beans will go through the roof to the point where anyone who makes them has to discontinue that product line.

Great, we will get baked peas instead :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

While I've got little desire to own a Ritter, I have to say that that from a visual aesthetic, there's nothing not to like.  I do love the look of Warner Brother/Simpsons/X-Men finishes (I'd be hard pushed to actually come up with any franchise that I'd want adorned on a bass costing £7/£8K), but this one in particular blows my mind:

1045-1.jpg

I wish I could find the video of that. It has a completely bonkers lighting system installed in it. All different colours and all light up randomly. Very clever. My take on one of his comic book finishes would be Batman/The Killing Joke.

I bought a Ritter from @molan. If you’ve not had one in your hands, do yourself a favour and put it on your bucket list. Irrespective of what it looks like, it plays superbly, is fitted with quality components and to address one of the most discussed aspects of buying a bass - it’s very light. 7lb and change as I recall. 

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Just seems like pointless negativity to me. Now if he started making guitars, that would be a different story!

He does make guitars. This is my dream instrument:

1166-1.jpg.60dc6a53be159d22ed38bb2c4754c5c8.jpg

I have to say I'm not 100% sold on the basses, mostly because my OCD can't cope with the slightly angled pickups. Considering that they are his own design and made especially for Ritter bases, I can't se why they couldn't be mounted at an angle inside non-angled covers.

• Like 1

Well, if we’re giving opinions, I think 99% of his basses are hideous and look, as I’ve said elsewhere, like a child’s drawing of a Carl Thompson. But if they float your boat, go for it. It’d be very boring if we all liked the same things.

Not entirely sure I see the point of starting a thread just to say how awful something is, but hey, we’ve replied, so what do I know?

58 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

He does make guitars. This is my dream instrument:

1166-1.jpg.60dc6a53be159d22ed38bb2c4754c5c8.jpg

I have to say I'm not 100% sold on the basses, mostly because my OCD can't cope with the slightly angled pickups. Considering that they are his own design and made especially for Ritter bases, I can't se why they couldn't be mounted at an angle inside non-angled covers.

Have to say that reminds me of a jelly baby. 😉

Different strokes and all that :)

That being said, I've only ever only found a couple of Jens' basses "beautiful", and those include one of his pure white builds and one of his black matte ones (unfortunately not remembering the model names). I've never played one and definitely looking forward to. They are definitely out there, and Ritter seems like one of the few bass luthiers around that keeps making statements (whether we might like them or not :) ) and I can only applaud him for that! 

By the way, to whomever said they look like child drawings of a Carl Thompson...to me Thompson designs have always looked very, very bad (all the proportions feel wrong every time I've put my hands on one, or seen one). And I am a person who tends to like more 'baroque' design choices (which his designs are full of), so it's not even that I don't like the style. Just THOSE particular designs - almost never seen a CT I liked aesthetically. However, I did have a chance to play a CT and it was an absolutely impressive instrument! Which I reckon is the same experience I'd have playing a Ritter. So...who gives? :P