Why become a member? ×

19" Rack - milk crate?

radiophonic

Back in the late 80s, a guitarist I played with had all his effects in rack format (of course!) and he had a really cool rack for it all. It looked like a red plastic milk crate, but drilled for about 6U of gear. It was really light and the handles were built in to the design. I've never seen another one but I remember it being a product rather than a DIY job. I'm on the lookout for a lightweight and portable rack solution at the moment and something a bit less ugly than the standard black ABS type would be nice. Anyone remember these things?

23 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Gator G-PRO-6U-19?

G-PRO-6U-19-RE_8_P1-800x800.jpg

That's pretty close TBH. The one I recall was more of an open frame so you could grab it easily, but that would do the job. I'm planning to rack a channel strip, headphone splitter amp, interface and a mac mini as a sort of mobile recording rig that will also not look terrible stuck on a shelf in my music room. My bass and all my cables are red too.

15 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

The red might be discontinued now though, I can only find it in image search. Black ones are still for sale though. But it does have a built in handle and the back panel comes off:

G-PRO-6U-STANDARD_OPEN_LT-575x457.jpg

Yeah - it looks like they did them in a bunch of colours but they all come up as unavailable. If they've been available recently though s/h may be worth watching. Those PRO-R ones are silly money though!

Edited by radiophonic