Why become a member? ×

Just got gifted a Japanese Squier

Rubbersoul

Was blown away by the generosity, honestly. When he said he was giving it to me I genuinely thought it was gonna be something I’d need to work on. Nope, it’s excellent as is, it just needed a good clean, some switch cleaner on the pots and jack and some lemon oil on the fretboard. Lovely low action, intonation perfect. Set of Ernie Ball 45 - 105 and it’s a growling beast of a thing 😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Those early Japanese Squiers ars sought after. They were probably made at one of the Fender Japan factories.

Early '90s isn't particularly early for MIJ Squiers, but they're excellent basses built to a very high standard, like the '80s JVs, SQs, E & A serials.

There's no "Fender Japan" factory as such - "Made In Japan" denotes this one's made made by Fujigen Gakki. Later CIJs came from Tokai & Dyna Gakki.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2020 at 00:57, Bassassin said:

Early '90s isn't particularly early for MIJ Squiers, but they're excellent basses built to a very high standard, like the '80s JVs, SQs, E & A serials.

There's no "Fender Japan" factory as such - "Made In Japan" denotes this one's made made by Fujigen Gakki. Later CIJs came from Tokai & Dyna Gakki.

Ywes but there was a Fender Japan sales company that oversaw matters and kept them in line. Incidently the new Fujigen basses are probably the best production jazz basses around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Ywes but there was a Fender Japan sales company that oversaw matters and kept them in line. Incidently the new Fujigen basses are probably the best production jazz basses around.

Well, yes - off the top of my head, Fender Japan was a collaboration batween Kanda Shokai (who own the Greco brand, & whose Japan-market Fender copies were the main motivation for US Fender to take the MIJ route) and Yamano Gakki, a retail chain which handled the marketing & distribution. At the time, Kanda exclusively used Fujigen for their own-brand instruments so it was logical for them to build Japanese Fenders.

It's rumoured the initial JV serial Fenders & Squiers actually started their production runs intended to be badged Greco, but I'd imagine that's unconfirmable.

Modern Fgn Jazzes are gorgeous but a bit out of my justifiable price range!

On 21/07/2020 at 12:24, Bassassin said:

Well, yes - off the top of my head, Fender Japan was a collaboration batween Kanda Shokai (who own the Greco brand, & whose Japan-market Fender copies were the main motivation for US Fender to take the MIJ route) and Yamano Gakki, a retail chain which handled the marketing & distribution. At the time, Kanda exclusively used Fujigen for their own-brand instruments so it was logical for them to build Japanese Fenders.

It's rumoured the initial JV serial Fenders & Squiers actually started their production runs intended to be badged Greco, but I'd imagine that's unconfirmable.

Modern Fgn Jazzes are gorgeous but a bit out of my justifiable price range!

Just seen that Richards Guitars now stock them, only the basic models but £549 https://rguitars.co.uk/pages/search-results-page?collection=bass&page=1.

CORRECTION. They show them on the website but say they cannot source as the UK distributor has changed.

Edited by Chienmortbb
I asked

Thanks for all the comments folks but I have discovered a slight issue I could use your help with. Was having a noodle today and I’ve noticed a strange buzz underlying clean notes. It’s almost like it’s farting out (odd description I know but not sure how else to put it). It definitely sounds electronic rather than anything loose. There’s no crackling in the pots and they adjust volume and tone as you would expect but do you think the problem could be there? Thanks.