Why become a member? ×

Jaydee supernatural new vs vintage

Løchte

Hello out there

Is there a difference in construction between the “old”/vintage Jaydees and the new ones? Old ones seem to sell at prices almost as high as new ones. I’m looking for a bass with an aggressive tone, mostly slapping. 

Any opinion on what model that fits my needs? - or knowledge of the differences between them?

Best regards from Denmark

Allowing for the waiting time - assuming they’re building at the moment due to COVID - I’d go new. There was a batch in the ‘80s with dodgy necks (bad wood batch) , which you wouldn’t know until you happened to get one. I had one and the neck just wouldn’t settle.

Edited by 4000

I think John Diggins' son makes them now.  

I seem to remember that at some point in more recent times( i.e after their 1980's heyday) that they changed the laminations in the neck from walnut with maple stingers to maple with walnut stringers, with the aim of making the neck a bit  stiffer and more stable. They also introduced a new truss rod system  some time in the 1990s with the same aim. Maybe a Jaydee buff could shed some light on my dim recollections.

I personally would be inclined to get a new one , especially  in light of the very  reasonable asking prices,  but that is not to say that there aren't plenty of great old ones.

Edited by Misdee

I also had a Jaydee supernatural in the 80's with a dodgy neck. It eventually developed a terminal backbow (which broke my heart given that it was beautiful). 

I'm over it now.

I'd personally go new but I'm reliably told that the reasonable price means plenty of orders, hence a considerable wait.

8 hours ago, 4000 said:

Says on the website 16 months. 

That's what I was quoted when I made enquiries into having something built. They said that they were cutting down on the tech side of the business on other makes (setups & repairs), to concentrate on just JayDee in order to cut the waiting time down.

I believe that John still gets involved in the builds, but there are also his sons working alongside him.

• Like 1