Why become a member? ×

Any Orange SP/OBC 212 fans?

shine182

Ok I'm not going to lie I'm really drawn to the look of the orange brand aesthetic :) Those that own one or have experience of playing one can you share? Specifically volume for a loud indie rock band set up in a rehearsal situation? Two guitarists with 30watt vox / 40watt fender combos etc. Also what are they like to move around? I hurt my abdomen a few years back, so the days of single handedly moving heavy cabs is just not an option :(

I had one of the SP cabs and it could never keep up and wasn’t what I’d hoped it’d be. I too had been drawn in by the aesthetic but was let down. The OBC410 and 810 are great, and I’d expected that to translate to the SP as well but sadly not. I suppose it’d have its place and fulfil certain roles but a loud alt-Rock band was not one of those.

For about the same money, I now have a second hand Barefaced 210S which is infinitely better both in tone and volume, and sounds great for rock style bass. Plus, it’s even lighter to the point I can lift it with one finger. 

Edited by Bankai
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bankai said:

I had one of the SP cabs and it could never keep up and wasn’t what I’d hoped it’d be. I too had been drawn in by the aesthetic but was let down. The OBC410 and 810 are great, and I’d expected that to translate to the SP as well but sadly not. I suppose it’d have its place and fulfil certain roles but a loud alt-Rock band was not one of those.

For about the same money, I now have a second hand Barefaced 210S which is infinitely better both in tone and volume, and sounds great for rock style bass. Plus, it’s even lighter to the point I can lift it with one finger. 

Feedback most appreciated! I'll have to look into these Barefaced cabs! 

I originally had an SP210 cab back around 2011, loved it, got loads of comments but ultimately sold it as I was always always doing kit share gigs so it was a lot of cash to lie idle. I missed it a lot so ahead of a long UK tour in 2019 re-bought the SP212 and did 2 full UK tours with it. I used it with two pro bands and everyone raved about it. My drummer is loud but in bigger venues it all gets mic'd up anyway. Everyone is different but I LOVE Orange & would always recommend them. I now have the OBC115 and OBC410 cabs too but that is as much for the visual at the larger venues. The SP212 still comes out regularly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shine182 said:

Feedback most appreciated! I'll have to look into these Barefaced cabs! 

They do two ranges, one with the 12” drivers is a bit more HiFi, but their 10” range is voiced to give it a sound perfect for rock/metal. Think Ampeg 810 but much smaller!

They’re very well thought of round here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

I originally had an SP210 cab back around 2011, loved it, got loads of comments but ultimately sold it as I was always always doing kit share gigs so it was a lot of cash to lie idle. I missed it a lot so ahead of a long UK tour in 2019 re-bought the SP212 and did 2 full UK tours with it. I used it with two pro bands and everyone raved about it. My drummer is loud but in bigger venues it all gets mic'd up anyway. Everyone is different but I LOVE Orange & would always recommend them. I now have the OBC115 and OBC410 cabs too but that is as much for the visual at the larger venues. The SP212 still comes out regularly. 

Interesting! In a purely practice situation do you feel you could be heard with a SP212? I wouldn't be expecting miracles etc

13 hours ago, shine182 said:

Interesting! In a purely practice situation do you feel you could be heard with a SP212? I wouldn't be expecting miracles etc

I play in 4 or 5 bands and it has never been a problem. Some of my bands have very loud drummers and guitarists. I also play in some bands where everyone is more sensible too. I tend to raise the cab by putting it on a flight case but my volume (Terror head) is usually well under 5. In some venues I have even been asked to turn DOWN! With the loud bands I don't think I have gone past 7.

Obviously I can't speak for others but volume has just never been an issue.

• Like 1

On 19/07/2020 at 17:37, Cat Burrito said:

That Terror/SP210 rig sounded great.

Hiho, I,m a happy SP212 user.

They are loud with my first generation Terror 500 head-full power at 4 or 8 ohm.

I also use an OBC115 which is my favourite-special edition 2009 in white.

SP212 is great for space and one hand lift,put the 2 cabs together and it can get silly loud so I usually just use one cab.I used the SP212 for years on it,s own and never been short of grunt.   Terror head SP212 no PA support.