Why become a member? ×

It’s a funny old game.....

Lozz196

So for years I’ve been a Fender Precision man, virtually all of my fave bassists use them and their sounds, plus the dynamics of how a Precision reacts to playing have been a big influence on me and how I play.

So why is it at the moment that I’m finding I’m gravitating to my Fender Jazz as my go-to bass more and more, and, when I do pick up a Precision it’s just not hitting the spot so to speak. It’s not “new bass syndrome” as have now had the Jazz for all of this year. I’m finding the neck so much easier to play, and am much preferring the sound - neck pickup on full, bridge pickup on about a quarter. 

Confused 😳

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

So for years I’ve been a Fender Precision man, virtually all of my fave bassists use them and their sounds, plus the dynamics of how a Precision reacts to playing have been a big influence on me and how I play.

So why is it at the moment that I’m finding I’m gravitating to my Fender Jazz as my go-to bass more and more, and, when I do pick up a Precision it’s just not hitting the spot so to speak. It’s not “new bass syndrome” as have now had the Jazz for all of this year. I’m finding the neck so much easier to play, and am much preferring the sound - neck pickup on full, bridge pickup on about a quarter. 

Confused 😳

Could it be the difference between playing solo and in a band mix?

But it's great to have both in your armoury regardless - I find the differences between my basses stops any one of them going stale / feeling samey; they keep each other fresh!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Could it be the difference between playing solo and in a band mix?

But it's great to have both in your armoury regardless - I find the differences between my basses stops any one of them going stale / feeling samey; they keep each other fresh!

It could be, the style of music I’m playing is different and it’s certainly easier on the Jazz neck, but even when playing along to this material on YouTube the Precision just seems too bulky whereas the Jazz just fits in perfectly. I knew these were strange times, but didn’t realise just how much.....

Edited by Lozz196

17 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

It could be, the style of music I’m playing is different and it’s certainly easier on the Jazz neck, but even when playing along to this material on YouTube the Precision just seems too bulky whereas the Jazz just fits in perfectly. I knew these were strange times, but didn’t realise just how much.....

My 'P's have not really been "proper" P's at all, but PJs and both have relatively slim line necks (Yamaha and Sire). It kinda feels like giving me the best of both worlds, although it's obviously missing the warmth of a neck J pup which you get on a J bass.

But isn't that the thing about a "proper P" - it does one thing, but it does that thing very very well. Anyway it's a good job you and I are not pro-bass players, right, cos...

12 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

So why is it at the moment that I’m finding I’m gravitating to my Fender Jazz as my go-to bass  . . . . . . .

Been there, done that.

I  was a died in the wool Precision bass player for 25 years, until I switched to 5 strings. Since then I've played a Musicman SR5, Lakland 55-94, Wal and now a Sadowsky Jazz. There's a Lull PJ5 in there as well but it seems to have slipped into second place, behind the Jazz.

Same has happened with my amps and cabs. I've gone from a solidly P bass oriented set up to a much more dynamic sound.

IMO it's all good, so just embrace the changes. Nothing else you can do.

• Like 1

I've been a P player for 10 years or more and still have a USA Sandblasted Precision but I really like the Stingray a lot, probably for the much better string balance it has, I can't seem to get that on a P.

40 minutes ago, tom1946 said:

I've been a P player for 10 years or more and still have a USA Sandblasted Precision but I really like the Stingray a lot, probably for the much better string balance it has, I can't seem to get that on a P.

Sandblast is a fine looking bass - Red or Blue?

Change the pick up if it’s just stock?

Hey Lozz, wait til you pick up a Mustang or similar short scale!!!! Has similar low end to a Precision but the short scale makes playing it effortless - and its a lot of fun at home as its less cumbersome than a 34" scale bass, which makes me pick mine up more

• Like 1

I was a p bass player for 10 years. Then switched to jazz for a few years. Then back to precision.

Jazzes are much easier to play - I always find them a narrower easy to reach neck - and have great tonal options to play with.

Sometimes it's just good to have a swap!

I've only had one "regular" P bass (plus a Maruszczyk Jake 5a+ and a couple Yamaha BBs), and 4 Jazzes (my first bass, a cheap Argentinean Jazz copy, a couple '90s MIJ Fenders and my current cheap parts Jazz). I'm really into the Jazz neck pickup tone, prefer it to a P in fact, the mood is similar but there's some extra twang. I'm into the neck PU full + bridge PU slightly dimmed bunch too, so sweet. I did the series-parallel push-pull mod on my current parts Jazz, makes for some de facto boost/bass boost, very useful for making a thin amp thump, "Motowns down" the all open Jazz tone.

Edited by andruca

On 18/07/2020 at 23:19, Lozz196 said:

I like Precision necks because, most of the time, they stop me doing too much, the mechanical constraints imposed by a 44mm wide and deep neck are actually helpful when I'm gigging and most of the time when I'm recording, and stick La Bella Deep Talkin's flats in the mix and those constraints are multiplied significantly! I like Jazz necks for a few things, and on occasion it's lovely to pick up a Jazz and feel that speed and ease. But I'm a better band member when the Precision neck slows me down a bit. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Beedster said:

I'm a better band member when the Precision neck slows me down a bit. 

Can relate to that somewhat. Lockdown has me playing my P/J’s more than anything else (both Jazz necks) but I know if I was playing with a band I’d be picking up something chunkier - either my Hoppus P or the new SUB - because my “job” is different in that setting. 

I think the precision pickup just has more punch/presence so if you want a jazz I think a pj is a good way to go so you still have that pickup but you can change the tone adding the jazz bridge pup

Clarky mentioned short scales such as a mustang 

I just don’t think they compare with a 34”

I also don’t think they are as precise intonation wise

I've done the same thing over the years, P to J cause it was expected then back again, etc but I dunno the J just doesn't have the grunt that a good P has for me anyway.....and Iam talking about good P's. I've played some which were kinda meh. Had a lovely RW Jazz but again it was just missing something for me.