Why become a member? ×

the 5 kg cort gb 74 JH !!!

olicor

Hello everyone !
I just received my new cort GB74 JH and i should celebrate but unfortunately this bass is really heavy ! 4.96 kg !!! for a 4 it s really heavy ! 
I don t know how it is possible but i saw a corean review of the exact same bass where it s weighed at 3.78.
I ve got a bad back (hernia) and it has to go back.
here are two links. the first one is the corean review where you can see at 3'50'' the bass weighed at 3.78, and the second one is me wheighing the exact same bass (black for mine) at almost 5kg !!! my scale is working fine cause i wheighed my active jazz at 3.9 kg.
How such a difference can be ?
are the reviewed bass "selected" to increase sales ?
Is it a valid reason to ask for a return and money back (the seller didn t mentionned the wheight) ?
i emailed cort and i m waiting for a reply.
Do you think that it s acceptable for a brand to sell such heavy basses and with such weight disparity ?
thanks

2 hours ago, olicor said:
Hello everyone !
I just received my new cort GB74 JH and i should celebrate but unfortunately this bass is really heavy ! 4.96 kg !!! for a 4 it s really heavy ! 
I don t know how it is possible but i saw a corean review of the exact same bass where it s weighed at 3.78.
I ve got a bad back (hernia) and it has to go back.
here are two links. the first one is the corean review where you can see at 3'50'' the bass weighed at 3.78, and the second one is me wheighing the exact same bass (black for mine) at almost 5kg !!! my scale is working fine cause i wheighed my active jazz at 3.9 kg.
How such a difference can be ?
are the reviewed bass "selected" to increase sales ?
Is it a valid reason to ask for a return and money back (the seller didn t mentionned the wheight) ?
i emailed cort and i m waiting for a reply.
Do you think that it s acceptable for a brand to sell such heavy basses and with such weight disparity ?
thanks

To be honest it could just be the luck of the draw. I remember Andy Travis getting a Nate Mendel P Bass that IIRC weighed less than 8lbs; the only one I tried was noticeably heavier than my Rics (Probably something like 9.5lb) and another I wanted to buy turned out to be well over 10lb, so I didn’t.

Wood is wood after all, no two pieces being the same. I always ask before I buy these days.

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

I bought the same bass recently and just checked and it weighs 4.06 kg so fine for me. Great basses as well.

If in doubt maybe ask the seller to weigh before they despatch? I think that Sweetwater in the US show you the weight of each bass on their webshop.

The problem with this idea could be the vast majority of shops never open the boxes before sending it out.

3 hours ago, 4000 said:

To be honest it could just be the luck of the draw. I remember Andy Travis getting a Nate Mendel P Bass that IIRC weighed less than 8lbs; the only one I tried was noticeably heavier than my Rics (Probably something like 9.5lb) and another I wanted to buy turned out to be well over 10lb, so I didn’t.

Wood is wood after all, no two pieces being the same. I always ask before I buy these days.

Yeah, it was 7.85lbs, and then when I took the badass off for a vintage fender and took the Duncan 1/4lbs for Aguilar it was about 7.5lbs. Still regret it not Being mine.

I took delivery of 6 fender American deluxe jazz basses in 2010 when they changed to block/bound etc.

Lightest was 8.2lbs, heaviest was 10.5lbs.

most sat around 9.5/10lbs. Some Ash, some Alder. It was literally luck of the draw.

• Like 1

Especially Ash can vary immensely in weight, 50% difference between two similar sized bodies is not uncommon. 5kg is relatively heavy, but the average back should not have any issues and I do not think it is unreasonable to sell it.

If you do have a bad back, ensure you know the weight before buying. 

Thank you all guys for your testimonies.

So this bass can be really lighter as the corean review and some of you owning it indicate.

i just got a f...ing  bad one !

You re right saying that i ve got to ask for weight when buying online but i m afraid most of the sellers won t accept.

Bad back here too (hernia)so i can t keep it.

I will buy a neotech megastrap soon, i m sure it helps but at the end of the day (and of the gig !) it s  still  5kg weighing on my back  so i really need to make a selection with my instruments.

i doubt the seller will accept to take it back for this reason as nothing was mentionned or i will have to pay shipping. Gonna ask we ll see ... i will try to sell it locally too.  it s a pity cause the bass sounds good, very stingray like  and jazz like when you combine the two pickups.

Edited by olicor

22 hours ago, olicor said:
my new cort GB74 JH

I'm not sure if you bought it new from a retailer or used from a private seller.  If new, you can send it back for a refund for any reason you like.  You'll have to pay the return postage but the retailer's refund will include the original outbound postage cost.

On 19/07/2020 at 15:25, jrixn1 said:

I'm not sure if you bought it new from a retailer or used from a private seller.  If new, you can send it back for a refund for any reason you like.  You'll have to pay the return postage but the retailer's refund will include the original outbound postage cost.

thanks ! it s true i forgott  you re not supposed to say why you send it back.