Why become a member? ×

Stunning Wal on ebay

16 hours ago, Shaggy said:

are they really fetching £5K + these days? O.o

I've owned three Wals. Two of them I sold for £2k each which - at the time - seemed pretty ballpark. They were a Custom Fretless and the original Pro II used by Nick Beggs on Too Shy, and that was maybe 8/9 years ago.

The third one, a Wal Mk.III 5-string, I sold for over £3k five years ago and at the time I felt that was an outrageous amount. I reckoned I'd paid too much for it in the first place, and I was genuinely astonished that someone else would pay the same to take it off me.

In hindsight he got a bargain ...

• Like 1

On 20/07/2020 at 17:50, prowla said:

I've never been that keen on them either.

Hideous things that remind me of 70's wardrobes.  I'm sure they must be endowed with some kind of magical power to command the prices they do. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder !

Edited by edstraker123

Buying a Wal is better than keeping money in the bank, it’s daft.  I sold mine for £3.4k 4 years odd ago, and I’d easily get £5k for it now.  It’s so odd really.  There is no vintage value to them as they are made identically today, I think it’s just impatience for a new build! 

• 2 weeks later...

I am more of a MK3 fan (looks and weight) - - but i turned down 8K USD a few weeks ago that someone offered me - not sure the currency diff for you good folks - but hindsight, 5 yrs ago i should have bought a few! Its the electronics that sets these apart from all other brands - thats it. Quality is on par with many boutique builders, the necks are chunky and not overly likeable - but the electronics are just crazy good. 

1561574a4ae2b6580000c024e759e78b.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, graphics1988 said:

... but the electronics are just crazy good. 

And that's just about the size of it. You can get a staggering range of totally useable, musical tones from a Wal.

I sold my first Wal when I realised that I spent all my time making it sound like a Precision ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't think the nut width is wider than a P bass nut - but the thickness front to back with the V shape, takes some getting used too. If i strictly play that bass daily - i get used too it - then, if i play any of my other ones - i think i 'sigh' out loud. lol - regardless...NOTHING sounds as good as my Wal. (if you want active tones)

On 22/07/2020 at 15:25, edstraker123 said:

I'm sure they must be endowed with some kind of magical power to command the prices they do. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder !

Same could be said of vintage Fender JB's  and Wals are built properly and by craftsmen

• Like 1

Yes they do sell for £5000+ at dealers.  This one is at a dealer (elite Vintage guitars) not a genuine private sale.

They don't sell for £5750, certainly not this one.  Probably worth £4250.

Replicas of Geddy Lee's Black one or Justin Chancellor's maple one go for silly money to USA based fan boys who then play along with rush and tool recordings.  Beats me.  Especially as the rush fans are now arguing about whether geddy's had a face-wood under the plack paint or not .... and now it transpires that he recorded an album called power windows on a brown one!!!   Arghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!  Madness.

I have two, one cost £800, the other £4150.  Doing much better than my pension fund despite a £500 service last year.

The four string fretless is the bass I'll never part with, sounds great and nice to play.