Why become a member? ×

FS: '81 Washburn SB-40 fretless (Bathiki Kumalo/Graceland) **SOLD**
£350
Canterbury

Beedster

Second of my basses to go in my Covid sale! A bass identical or at least extremely similar to that Bakithi Kumalo used on Graceland, and although it's probably in my head, the lines from that album do sound rather authentic on this bass (perhaps as the result of it's having won the 'Who can get the P and J pickups furthest apart on the same instrument?' competition'). It was originally white and has faded to a rather attractive (apparently) nicotine yellow over the years. Since the photos were taken the bridge was swapped for the original, I'll try to get some photos up of how it looks now tomorrow. As seems to be the case with pretty much everything that came out of Japan in the 80's, it's quality is outstanding and on a par with far higher priced current instruments. Some comments on this bass and further details from people who know more about it than I do in this thread......

image.png.5fd000f4d772c7170f84e7492aa0c4fa.png

image.png.33e6395ca9e9e2a1a89995110824349b.png

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 7

Beautiful - the only fretless I've seen FS lately that is making me try to justify buying another!  :scratch_one-s_head:

Bass from an iconic and totally distinctive bass recording right there :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 1

Ah wow. Just brilliant.

I had a fretted SB-40eq in sunburst and it was such a great bass.

I was actually made an offer from a guy who curates a Washburn guitars museum/exhibit somewhere in the USA. And it was a lot more than £350, so I sold it to him.

I’d love to have this, but really cannot at the moment.

Chris is an absolute gent, so whomever ends up this will be pleased as punch.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, much like the above, I have more FLs than any man can reasonably justify at the moment (three, four if you include my EUB). I'd love to keep it but I prefer the flexibility of my Fender-fit bitsas on which I can mix and match necks and bodies as the mood takes me - four bodies, four necks, it's like having 16 basses :)

In response to a few PMs I can courier this as I have some very strong boxes and packaging. 

Chris

16 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Sold pending the usual

Chris

Thank God for that, I was wobbling badly. 😥

The 2 glasses of afternoon vino did not help. 😂

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Thank God for that, I was wobbling badly. 😥

The 2 glasses of afternoon vino did not help. 😂

Yup. Very satisfied for the lucky buyer. The infamous “Trav’s had a wine twitch” was kicking in.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Taking the wife out for a much needed meal and cocktails in an hour.

Deffo buying a double bass tonight hahaha

I've probably got one for sale somewhere mate :)

Have a great evening Andy, imagine it's well deserved and long overdue for you both

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Phew, that was a near miss for me too...😅

Those mad pickup positions have got me thinking though...a bit like some of the recent crazy Atelier's, could take a jazz body and rout for extra pickups one right up by the bridge and one right by the neck. Hmm...I wonder if there's a jazz body knocking around somewhere I could experiment on... 😁

• Like 1

Oh my giddy aunt! My first fretless was one of those - exactly the same (expect that I epoxied the fingerboard - not very well if truth be known). Bought in about 1982 (from Bootleg Music, Epsom) and sold not long afterwards to help finance my Wal. Memories, memories....

P

5 hours ago, philw said:

Oh my giddy aunt! My first fretless was one of those - exactly the same (expect that I epoxied the fingerboard - not very well if truth be known). Bought in about 1982 (from Bootleg Music, Epsom) and sold not long afterwards to help finance my Wal. Memories, memories....

P

I've been trying to remember the name of that Epsom shop for months now, so thanks. Also lovely bass Chris, shame it's gone, would have been all over it. 

• Like 1

• MB1 locked this topic