Why become a member? ×

NBD Jackson David Ellefson Kelly Bird V Upgraded

6feet7

After having joined a heavy rock/mild metal band, I felt that my Sunburst Maruszczyk Jake PJV, Godin A5 or 5 string double bass didn't really fit the bill, image wise, so the hunt was on for a Thunderbird type bass. I narrowed it down to either an Epiphone Pro V Thunderbird or a Jackson David Ellefson Kelly Bird V, and with the help of the good people of BC, and the fact that I found a mint one with upgraded pickups and preamp on Reverb, I went for the Jackson. It arrived this afternoon, so, after managing to smuggle it into my home office without anyone seeing (yes dear, I've had it for years), I plugged it in, switched on my Darkglass Microtubes overdrive pedal and launched into the intro to Ace of Spades. Now, I'm not a fan of battery power ie. active basses, but the upgraded EMG DCX (instead of HZ) pickups and 18v BTC preamp made all the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. Oh wow. I was going to strip out the active setup and go passive, but I'm not going to now, this is so good.

The strap buttons have already been moved (one to the body by the base of the neck, the other high up on the back of the body) so balance is perfect, with no neck dive at all and I also managed to buy a gigbag that fits the shape perfectly.

Edited by 6feet7
  • Like 10

On 18/07/2020 at 08:51, Cuzzie said:

Dave Ellefson rules - I do keep looking at his range of Jackson bases

I actually had to look up who he was (not a massive metal fan at all), but at the cheaper end of the metal bass choices his did seem to be the best (IMO). I must say that if I wasn't joining this band I don't think I'd have gone so pointy - 56 year old, balding bloke down the dog and duck playing metal - but it is a very good bass (especially with the upgraded pickups and preamp that the previous owner fitted).

Edited by 6feet7

49 minutes ago, 6feet7 said:

I actually had to look up who he was (not a massive metal fan at all), but at the cheaper end of the metal bass choices his did seem to be the best (IMO). I just wish it had a forearm contour. No worries, it'll be rounded off very soon :). I must say that if I wasn't joining this band I don't think I'd have gone so pointy - 56 year old, balding bloke down the dog and duck playing metal - but it is a very good bass (especially with the upgraded pickups and preamp that the previous owner fitted).

Metal aside he is a very good musician, awesome pick player and has great musicality. He speaks a load of sense.

Nowt wrong with a pointy headstock at any age or genre

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Metal aside he is a very good musician, awesome pick player and has great musicality. He speaks a load of sense.

Nowt wrong with a pointy headstock at any age or genre

He’s also a very patient chap to put up with Mr Mustaine all these years. 
There’s some youtube vids of him playing promotional slots at US guitar shops and he does some classic Megadeth tracks to backing: Five Magics shows what an epic pick player he is: total control and consistency. Megadeth when he hasn’t recorded with them are just a boring thrash band.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

He’s also a very patient chap to put up with Mr Mustaine all these years. 
There’s some youtube vids of him playing promotional slots at US guitar shops and he does some classic Megadeth tracks to backing: Five Magics shows what an epic pick player he is: total control and consistency. Megadeth when he hasn’t recorded with them are just a boring thrash band.

I completely agree, his videos are well worth it, cleanliness and pick control are just fantastic, he held down and kept Megadeth together - That Holy wars bassline is a load of fun to play.

I like these videos where dug lays the groove and he tinkers over it

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, 6feet7 said:

I find it funny that people are more worried about me sticking a bit of plastic on the bass rather than the fact I'm going to be removing a chunk of wood for the forearm contour :)

You can always put the wood back.......

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, 6feet7 said:

I find it funny that people are more worried about me sticking a bit of plastic on the bass rather than the fact I'm going to be removing a chunk of wood for the forearm contour :)

😆😆

seriously though I don't know why any guitar/bass is made without a forearm contour, it's basic good manners.

• Like 1

OK. Decided not to put the scratchplate on as I'm thinking of selling it straight away. It's a mite heavy for my damaged neck :(, so something lighter will have to be bought instead.

Edited by 6feet7

13 hours ago, 6feet7 said:

OK. Decided not to put the scratchplate on as I'm thinking of selling it straight away. A Reverend Rumblefish has just come up for sale and it's at the top of my GAS list, so this will have to go to pay for it.

Ah that's a shame. It's gone from hero to zero in the space of a week, in classic BC fashion!! I thought the Maruszczyk or one of your other herd might be for the chop ahead of this one:

On 17/07/2020 at 20:44, 6feet7 said:

After having joined a heavy rock/mild metal band, I felt that my Sunburst Maruszczyk Jake PJV, Godin A5 or 5 string double bass didn't really fit the bill, image wise, so the hunt was on for a Thunderbird type bass. I narrowed it down to either an Epiphone Pro V Thunderbird or a Jackson David Ellefson Kelly Bird V, and with the help of the good people of BC, and the fact that I found a mint one with upgraded pickups and preamp on Reverb, I went for the Jackson (it also weighs about 8 1/2lbs, which helps). It arrived this afternoon, so, after managing to smuggle it into my home office without anyone seeing (yes dear, I've had it for years), I plugged it in, switched on my Darkglass Microtubes overdrive pedal and launched into the intro to Ace of Spades. Now, I'm not a fan of battery power ie. active basses, as I can see that there is just one more thing to go wrong, but the upgraded EMG DCX (instead of HZ) pickups and BTC preamp  made all the hairs on the back of my neck rise. Oh wow. This makes my other basses seem so tame in comparison. I can see this being my main bass (in this band anyway). I never thought that the Maruszczyk would become the back up bass. I was going to strip out the active setup and go passive, but I'm not going to now.

Yes, it has it's faults (well, one). There is no forearm contour. This is one of the reasons I sold my Rickenbacker 4003SW-5, but this bass sounds so awesome and is so cheap in comparison (£400 compared to £2500) that I'm not worried it. The strap buttons have already been moved (one to the body by the base of the neck, the other high up on the back of the body) so balance is perfect, with no neck dive at all. I can't wait to start rehearsals and gigging with it as soon as we can.

Edited by Al Krow

On 23/07/2020 at 10:32, Al Krow said:

Ah that's a shame. It's gone from hero to zero in the space of a week, in classic BC fashion!! I thought the Maruszczyk or one of your other herd might be for the chop ahead of this one:

Not getting rid of the Maru. Probably the best bass I've ever had (and I've had quite a few - everything from cheapos to custom shop and custom luthier made stuff and everything in between).

We all know how GAS attacks and I'll probably regret it if I do get rid of it (and I know I won't manage to get another (affordable) one with all the upgrades it's had, so I'll probably keep it for the moment.

As an aside, I've not ordered the scratchplate I was considering. I listened to the good people on here and decided they were right (plus, I wouldn't be able to sell it as easily if it had the screw holes in it.

Edited by 6feet7