Why become a member? ×

1x10 + 1x15 =?

funkydoug

hi folks  looking for some lockdown advice as I'm not in a position to test this out at volume  for a while...

I've got a nice pair of ABM combos as in the pic. Its an ABM 300 1X10 and a NEO 400 1X15.

20200616_140311.thumb.jpg.a943399d891925f70b8ea8656fda6069.jpg

The idea is to use the 110 for practice,  the 115 for most gigs and then if needed pair them up as a rig.

I tend to overthink this kind of thing but in terms of unmatched speakers, the 10nbeing a bit weak and potentially excursion  limited etc ... can anyone convince me this is a good plan?? Or that I should sell them both and buy something else 😂

The mismatched drivers thing can be like pissing in the dark; you won't know unless you try. Could work, could be awful. But, you will be able to drive each speaker with its own independent amplifier, which means you can EQ them differently and then potentially avoid some (not all) of the pitfalls of mismatched drivers.

A better plan would be to keep them both and then get an extension cab for each (matched to each), then you have LOADS of options :D

• Thanks 1

Actually you've nothing to lose, they will either sound good together or they won't. you'll get more volume certainly and you won't need to work them both so hard in all probability. Because they are each being driven by their own amp you will only have to tweak the volumes to balance the output between them. The extra height will mean the top speaker is closer to your ears and you'll hear better than if they were on the floor and you'll still get a bit of extra bass from the one on the floor owing to the coupling. It used to be quite common for a bassist to use a guitar amp with a bass amp back in the dark ages to get a nice punchy midrange.

You've got loads of eq options but I might well try rolling off a little of the bass to the 10 so you can crank it a bit harder to match the 15 which I'd expect to be louder. The power handling of the 10 is going to be limited by the excursion so rolling off the bass will limit that and give you some more headroom.

If you can't get them to work together you've lost nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Actually you've nothing to lose, they will either sound good together or they won't. you'll get more volume certainly and you won't need to work them both so hard in all probability. Because they are each being driven by their own amp you will only have to tweak the volumes to balance the output between them. The extra height will mean the top speaker is closer to your ears and you'll hear better than if they were on the floor and you'll still get a bit of extra bass from the one on the floor owing to the coupling. It used to be quite common for a bassist to use a guitar amp with a bass amp back in the dark ages to get a nice punchy midrange.

You've got loads of eq options but I might well try rolling off a little of the bass to the 10 so you can crank it a bit harder to match the 15 which I'd expect to be louder. The power handling of the 10 is going to be limited by the excursion so rolling off the bass will limit that and give you some more headroom.

If you can't get them to work together you've lost nothing.

That was a substantially more eloquent (and probably less red-wine-influenced) response than mine!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, funkydoug said:

Cheers guys.

@Phil Starr you've dampened the GAS for a while...

@Jus Lukin crossover is a great idea. Any in pedal format??

Rolls SX21 Tiny Two Way Crossover. I used one in a bi-amp rig that I gigged with for a while and it worked brilliantly. Also happens to be what Billy Sheehan uses so can't be bad. 

https://m.thomann.de/gb/rolls_sx_21.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwmMX4BRAAEiwA-zM4JrG3cP2utyrzHky1M62W_1u0X0H5GQdZxGtnRczRHzfKhCKN6cLRJhoCK04QAvD_BwE

Morning all,

Yeah @pete.young that was my original plan too, but as others are saying it bypasses the eq meaning I couldn't set each one's eq to suit the driver.

Alternatively I could plug into the 115, set it how I like it  then send a signal from its tuner out into the 110. That way both eqs are independent. 

The Rolls crossover does appear to be the only pedal one available  ... but looking at it, it's  crossover is 24db/octave. Thats ideal for its normal purpose but I feel like I'd be losing quite a lot from this set up if I did that ... losing alot of mids top from the 115h and some of the low mids from the 110.

I think there's only one thing for it ... plug it in and mess around with it, then apologise to the neighbours 🤣

I think that will work great! As others have said, you have full control over what goes into the two speakers so you'll never run risk of pushing the weaker speaker.

I've still got an odd dream of owning two old Peavey TNT 1x15's and running them like this. Still might do it!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ahpook said:

Just to be clear, it's 25.

Hide contents

Remember your BIDMAS rule ;)

Very sorry @aphook what a schoolboy error!! ...and thanks for confirming:) 

Edited by funkydoug
  • Haha 1