Why become a member? ×

Oh No! Yes!

miles'tone

10 hours ago, mikel said:

I saw them at the City Hall in Newcastle when they toured Topo, they played it, all of it. It was interesting but too overblown for me. Have a listen to the first album "Yes" and you can hear them trying to find their direction and morphing between 60s psychedelia and the invention of prog. Their cover of the Beatles "Every little thing" is a standout for me.

I was at that concert and seeing how much fun Squire was having was what made me become a bassist. He's always been my biggest influence.

I saw the 90125 tour and remember more than anything my chest cavity resonating with the bass as closed the show with Wurm and the light gantries folded down around the band. Great gig.

The problem with YesSongs is the bloody awful production, it sounds like it was recorded from a phone box outside the venue. The fact that everyone still loves it just shows how good the performances are!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Understandable. 

For me it began a golden age. For me both Genesis without Gabriel and Gabriel without Genesis were better, so it was a win win. Had Gabriel stayed with genesis we wouldn't have had later genesis (which I like) and more importantly, Gabriels solo stuff which I think was hugely significant. What would the world have been like without Gabriel 3 (melt or security or whatever). 

I love the Yes version, that leaves me cold. I think the snarly roughness of the bass is a contrast to the sweetness of his voice, and without one it is just a bit too unbalanced.

Listen to Anderson.

19 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Listen to Anderson.

I did, he sounds great as always, he is one half of a great sound. But clearly people here like it and thats great, if something works and makes people happy thats all that matters, it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the original and seeing it done live.

13 hours ago, Hellzero said:

My favourite Yes album has always been Drama. I can listen to it endlessly. For those who hate it because Trevor Horn is singing, remember that the guy is also a real terrific bass player and also Chris Squire biggest fan. He was also the producer of 90125...

I loved Drama when it came out but when I listened to it recently I just felt it had dated a bit.

I do, however, really like Fly From Here, particularly the later version with Trevor Horn singing.

I wouldn’t call it a true Yes album though.

I also thought The Ladder had some decent stuff on it - but if I could only have one album of theirs it would be Yessongs - my favourite live version of And You And 
I.

• Like 1

A very long time ago (Google search says late October 1978), I worked as an usher at Wembley when they did the in-the-round shows...they did a matinee and then an evening show.

We were in the Arena between shows and they came out and played a few bits; there were maybe ten of us in there plus the band; I'm sure there were people outside the arena who would have given a kidney to witness what we were watching.

I honestly wish I'd paid more interest and actually realised that I was in the presence of such greatness...I had little interest in them to be honest (I was more interested in The Clash at that point and these guys were just dinosaurs in my eyes).

It was only a few years back that I came to realise just how good they were.

5 hours ago, Richard R said:

By coincidence I have arrived at Y in my alphabetical play through my CD collection. This little lot is up next:

So, out of sheer monkey curiosity, where did you find Sugar Pie Honeybunch?

Was it under F for Four, or T for Tops, or numeric 4?

9_9

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

So, out of sheer monkey curiosity, where did you find Sugar Pie Honeybunch?

Was it under F for Four, or T for Tops, or numeric 4?

9_9

It would have been under F  if the artist was The Four Tops.

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

That boxed set looks lovely. 

It's not as good as I hoped, or the reviews said it was. Whoever remastered the recordings for CD was brought up in the 90s with the loudness wars, and squashed the dynamics out of the mixes. Passages that were really quiet on the original are brought up louder and the overall range is reduced. 

It was a birthday present,  and it is great in the car. But I almost cried when I first got it, settled back with headphones  on and played one if the discs - it sounded so harsh and brittle. 🙁

Just now, 4000 said:

Sorry to hear that. Oh well, that’ll save me a few quid!

Maybe I should review it again at the end of the week, when I have played the whole lot though again? I played Yes yesterday and didn't have a problem with it.

🙂

25 minutes ago, Richard R said:

But I almost cried when I first got it, settled back with headphones  on and played one if the discs - it sounded so harsh and brittle.

I still have the vinyl LP's from a number of the earlier Yes albums, as well as the CD's. It is true that they sound different, especially listening through headphones. 

On 17/07/2020 at 14:55, miles'tone said:

How, in all my near 30 years of playing bass, I've never listened to this band I'll never know!

The pick is out! 

So much great bass in CS’s discography... you have been missing out!