Why become a member? ×

Oh No! Yes!

miles'tone

Fragile is still my favourite album of theirs. I like songs from other albums like Siberian Khatru but this album I can listen to start to finish. The Yes Album is another favourite of mine.

I remember hearing Roundabout when I was in 6th year at school when Virgin 1215 radio station first launched. That was a good year for music for me. Got my first listen to Faith no more and the Chili Peppers as well in the common room

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yeah, where have you been exactly? 🤔

Down the funk rabbit hole mostly 😉

I saw Yes in Bassist magazine (remember that?) many years ago and the photos of their stage attire made me run the other way to be honest! 😄

Edited by miles'tone
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, miles'tone said:

How, in all my near 30 years of playing bass, I've never listened to this band I'll never know

Better late than never... Good recommendations so far... I'd add 'Going for the One' too for some awesome bass goodness. And 'Close to the Edge' is sublime. Mr Squire's solo album 'Fish Out of Water' is also excellent with some great support from Bill Bruford and Patrick Moraz.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, toneknob said:

Get Relayer if you want to hear something awesome

Avoid Topographic Oceans. Well, maybe except one time.

Topo was hard work for me when I first got it but I persevered with it. There are some good sections on it, though.

8 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Topo was hard work for me when I first got it but I persevered with it. There are some good sections on it, though.

I saw them at the City Hall in Newcastle when they toured Topo, they played it, all of it. It was interesting but too overblown for me. Have a listen to the first album "Yes" and you can hear them trying to find their direction and morphing between 60s psychedelia and the invention of prog. Their cover of the Beatles "Every little thing" is a standout for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikel said:

I saw them at the City Hall in Newcastle when they toured Topo, they played it, all of it. It was interesting but too overblown for me. Have a listen to the first album "Yes" and you can hear them trying to find their direction and morphing between 60s psychedelia and the invention of prog. Their cover of the Beatles "Every little thing" is a standout for me.

Aye, the early stuff is miles away from CTTE and everything after. Some of it is really fast and edgy. Loved Pete Banks.

gates of delirium for me please

whilst the close to the edge and fragile era is my overall favourite im going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons and suggest a few tracks from drama too (maybe my bias as that was the only time i saw them live) - the much later stuff has some nice moments but none of it has the raw energy of the 70s material