Why become a member? ×

Two more music venues close

casapete

Sad news for my region today with the announcement that two of Hull's music venues have closed and gone into administration following 115 days of lockdown. I'm sure many people on here will have played 'The Welly Club' which was a famous place for up and coming as well as national touring bands. It's sister venue The Polar Bear has also gone the same way.

This in today's Hull Daily Mail -

There has been an outpouring of emotion following the closure of two giants of Hull’s nightlife.

On Thursday it was announced The Welly, in Beverley Road, and The Polar Bear, in Spring Bank, would close for good after their parent company, VMS Live, crashed into administration following 115 days of lockdown. 

The pair existed for decades as vital parts of Hull’s music scene and the news has been met with sadness by their punters and those associated with them.

Having owned both venues, Dave Mays understands their significance to the city as well as anyone.

He took over The Welly in 2000 before selling up two years ago and paid tribute to the club’s unifying atmosphere.

He said: “It’s been an incredibly important part of Hull’s cultural scene for the best part of 50 years. It’s a very sad day to see its doors close but who knows what the future might bring.

First opening as a dance hall back in the 1910’s The Welly was Hull’s oldest nightclub and gained a reputation as the city’s go to venue for indie and alternative music from the latter part of the twentieth century.

DJ Priya and Andy Oyo, the couple behind YoYo and Loaded began putting on nights at The Welly back in the nineties and said they were devastated by the news of the two closures.

Andy Oyo said: “We are both utterly devastated about the closure of The Welly Club, The Polar Bear and Hull Box Office.

Edited by casapete
  • Sad 2

Sad to hear about the clubs having to close because they will have a knock on affect for suppliers and entertainers as well as the clubs' contribution to the local council coffers.

I think this covid situation has highlighted how vulnerable many businesses are these days.  When major, high street names go into administration after a few weeks of lock-down and holiday companies going under, you really have to ask if they were being run correctly.

I do suspect that some big names have used the current situation as an excuse to shed labour and cut costs and that 'administration' has be used as a way of avoiding paying debts.  Small family businesses often work on very small margins and don't have the capacity to weather a storm of a pandemic, but you would think that national chains and global companies would have enough 'fat' to survive.  The market has probably changed more in the last three months than at any time in recent years.  Whether it will return to "normal" is any one's guess.

• Like 2

Just been announced that The Deaf Institute and Gorilla closing in Manchester.

We played at The Deaf Institute last year and saw Victor Wooten at Gorilla a couple of years ago. Also caught Jay @crez5150 ,when he was with The Signatures, at Gorilla when they toured with Chairman of the Board.

2 venues that will really be missed.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, casapete said:

I thought you'd have been to the Welly Lozz! Found this from 1980 -

wellington-flyer-1980.jpg

Yes, was a bit later than that though, late 80s, used to hang out with the guys from Black September/Rich Rags at Spiders among other places which given the amount of beer I drank when there I can hardly remember.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BassBunny said:

We played at The Deaf Institute last year and saw Victor Wooten at Gorilla a couple of years ago. Also caught Jay @crez5150 ,when he was with The Signatures, at Gorilla when they toured with Chairman of the Board.

Gutted about those, particularly Gorilla, where in the past two years I’ve seen 2 of my favourite current artists, Lissie and The Staves. 

Edited by 4000

On 17/07/2020 at 10:02, BassBunny said:

A shame, I'm supposed to be going to the Deaf institute for a delayed gig to see Tokyo Police Club, was planned for December. Guess I will hear at some point if it is planned for elsewhere

3 minutes ago, Andermtc said:

A shame, I'm supposed to be going to the Deaf institute for a delayed gig to see Tokyo Police Club, was planned for December. Guess I will hear at some point if it is planned for elsewhere

According to Manchester Evening News, there is interest in buying both Deaf Institute and Gorilla.

Here's hoping.

• Like 1