Why become a member? ×

Value tools

invertigo

My other half has told me she's ordered me a diy bass kit as a gift (I suspect to keep me occupied rather than getting bored at home) and I've had a realisation that, while I have a decent set of tools, none are really suited to guitar/bass applications.

Namely, I think I could do with a levelling beam, fret rocker, crowning files and possibly nut slot files. I can't imagine a kit neck being perfectly straight and level with level frets, so believe I'd need all of the items.

Can anyone offer any advice? They may never end up being used again, or very rarely at best, so I really don't see a point in going out buying high quality stuff from the likes of StewMac or Crimson etc

I understand completely that, for something you want to use regularly, quality tools are worth it. I have plenty of Japanese saws, rasps, files etc, high quality power tools and so on, but I have no idea if these would ever really be used again and it seems insane to spend nearly as much as the kit is consting on some tools that may never see light again. Hence the question, does anyone know any tools that are decent for a reasonably cheap price.

Longevity doesn't matter in this case. If I get the bug, I'll get proper tools.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ahpook said:

Here's an idea for a fret leveling beam, not tired it myself (no space for saw tables in my shed !), but might be worth a try.

+1 and there are lots of 'hacks' on here and YT for things like nut slot files. Indeed, there was a very robust exchange this week on the very subject.....!

5 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

+1 and there are lots of 'hacks' on here and YT for things like nut slot files. Indeed, there was a very robust exchange this week on the very subject.....!

Robust exchanges ? Here ? Well I never ;)

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

I suggest to put the kit bass together first then see what needs doing.

If it's not much then it might be better value to get a professional - or someone listed here - to take a look.

Otherwise you could end up paying a three figure sum that would more than cover a pro fret level / setup...

Crikey... I've just finished a Harley Benton kit and the tools I used were a fretsaw, sanding blocks, wet and dry paper in many grades, two screwdrivers and a ball end 5mm allen key as the one in the kit was no good for adjusting the truss rod with strings on. Oh, and a scalpel for he nut, I find you can scrape off in a more controlled manner than using files and keep the slot profile.

A tiny mark on the body showed the neck had been put on with the neck plate in position, so looks like they do some basic QC.

The neck is straight as a die and I found a few frets (the highest on the D) that may need a light dressing if I drop the action on that string.

You are unlikely to need to do any major work so a straight edge and a cheap set of needle files shoudl cover any remedial work.

On 18/07/2020 at 10:28, Cuzzie said:

I will add that for things like a fret leveller, straight edge etc. Where the condition or straightness is essential, you’ll have to make sure it’s not been warped or abused or it will put you out of kilter

This. Don't take it for granted that a spirit level or a sheet of metal is flat just because it looks that way.

Interestingly, I found flatness not in my DIY toolbox but in the kitchen. If you take a piece of quartz countertop, you can expect 1/32" in 8 ft of tolerance (0.3 mm in 1 m) or even 0.0001"/foot (0.008 mm in 1 m) depending on grade/finish. This is because customers want a nice accurate clear reflection (instead of float glass-like distortions) and definitely don't want lippage (which you get when two panels are not precision flat).

Check with your local stone mason if they have any piece of scrap engineered stone you could take. Polished granite or quartz surface are other names it may go by. They should be happy to get rid of scrap. Ideally, they'd cut it for you too, but that's less likely to happen for free. If you get hold of a nice piece sufficiently big for fret levelling and decide to cut it yourself, seek guidance. Please please DO NOT use a dry grinder blade. It'll shatter and may hurt you in the process. Wet cut only.

Re DIY tools in general, you'll find a lot of information on youtube, for example:

• Like 1