Why become a member? ×

LaBella Olinto Basses

StuarDaddy

18 hours ago, Bass'ncats said:

My Olintos are perfectly reliable and functional, no issues... My Olintos are generally well made (to my opinion or needs) and have no issues.

This sounds like your instruments are reliable and the quality is high. You can tell this to us, it should be fine to get this information out, too. It is understandable that the sound and the feel are the first, but who wouldn't want to invest on quality stuff? How many years have you had (=played) your Olintos?

• Like 1

I’ve had one since maybe 3+ years. Lots of gigs and sessions. 
Everyone has their own definition of what is “quality” to them. Some here may think a really tight neck pocket with no gap whatsoever- the tighter the better- is going to be what they want. What I see is that all the vintage Fenders that are magical and sound amazing don’t have extremely tight perfect neck pockets and that is why they also are not overly compressed sounding...part of the imperfection that contributed to tone that I like. Just one example. 
Again, buy what you want for the reasons you want to buy.... but in my experience the crowd that gets hung up in the bass being a showpiece and and exercise in perfection are guys who... well.... forget it. 
🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I have an Olinto P Bass sounds and plays wonderfully. Roasted flamed Maple neck, Roasted Alder body, Brazilian Rosewood fretboard. Mas Hino custom pickup, Olinto reverse tuners, Reliced finish by Carbonetti guitars, best P Bass I’ve played other than Sean Hurley’s original 61....

BFEC7AA9-2410-4F87-9749-A0C6E8B763A3.jpeg

• Like 6

I have a new recording of the Olinto P Bass being mixed at moment.... It’s recorded via a Nightowl Industries Edison Valve  Preamp, Barber Electronics Linden Preamp and my Audio Kitchen Small Trees Valve preamp.....

My duo partner on this project then ran the bass signal through the new Neutral DSP Quad Cortex......to get some grind and a bit synth bass on another channel.

Let me know and I’ll send you the mp3 

Edited by bassadder

59 minutes ago, bassadder said:

This Timothy Chan’s Olinto P Bass from Uni-sound in Hong Kong it’s very very cool and sounds epic 

DEDC83D3-A3D3-4BA5-A333-B324C74E283A.jpeg

C94AD58E-85D9-45B6-AB81-FB4F35BA3F72.jpeg

That’s really nice bassadder, is that mute at the bridge adjustable to on or off or is it fixed 🙂

Edited by Reggaebass

On 04/05/2021 at 15:19, bassadder said:

This Timothy Chan’s Olinto P Bass from Uni-sound in Hong Kong it’s very very cool and sounds epic 

DEDC83D3-A3D3-4BA5-A333-B324C74E283A.jpeg

C94AD58E-85D9-45B6-AB81-FB4F35BA3F72.jpeg

I see they still haven't sorted out the alignment issues with the strings/pole pieces.  The D and G pickup rout was drilled around a centimetre out of goose by the looks of it.

On 04/05/2021 at 15:10, bassadder said:

The only place you’ll get to try one is in the US. The only places I know that have em is The Guitar Shop NYC and the Chicago Basement 

That's a shame, will have to see what the travel situation is like later in there year then! 

Out of curiousity - have you owned many other high end retro type basses? I've got a fender custom shop P that I love, so would want the quality at a similar level. The SBL discount on Olinto's makes them quite attractive so curious about comparison's with basses I know.

Yep the poles are slightly out of line but I don’t even think about as doesn’t affect the sound at all and the bass is just fabulous to play.

I’ve played a few high end P Basses I have a Moollon on order as we speak. I played Chris Cheney’s Pino CS and Sean Hurley’s 61 and signature CS they’re all great. Scott @scottsbasslessons just got his new 60’s Olinto P Bass in reliced Gold check out his YT. 

16 hours ago, bassadder said:

Yep the poles are slightly out of line but I don’t even think about as doesn’t affect the sound at all and the bass is just fabulous to play.

I’ve played a few high end P Basses I have a Moollon on order as we speak. I played Chris Cheney’s Pino CS and Sean Hurley’s 61 and signature CS they’re all great. Scott @scottsbasslessons just got his new 60’s Olinto P Bass in reliced Gold check out his YT. 

I guess I would expect perfection when spending the kind of money that these basses cost.  Endearing imperfections are for woodshop builders, not professionals.

• 2 months later...

It all becomes a bit meaningless, get 5 bass players in a room with a a bunch of P basses, say Modern vintage, fender roadworn, fender pino, Van Zandt, Moollon and MasHino Olinto, and let’s throw an Overwater or Bravewood in there for a bit of U.K. representation, even a Bass collection profile bass...

same strings, same tech setting up ... would all 5 bass players agree on which were the top 3 P basses you think? 

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

It all becomes a bit meaningless, get 5 bass players in a room with a a bunch of P basses, say Modern vintage, fender roadworn, fender pino, Van Zandt, Moollon and MasHino Olinto, and let’s throw an Overwater or Bravewood in there for a bit of U.K. representation, even a Bass collection profile bass...

same strings, same tech setting up ... would all 5 bass players agree on which were the top 3 P basses you think? 

Probably not, and that’s the fun of it 😊

My top Precisions at the moment are:

ModernVintage
Moollon
Lakland

That’s not including my ‘71 Precision, because that’s just the OG obviously!
I’ve tried Olinto’s, but only at a trade show, so I’d really like to get one on a few gigs! One day!

Si

• Like 1