Why become a member? ×

Eden Fan Replacement

dodgnofski

Measurements as best as I can tell with my old eyes are :-

60mm x 60mm

15mm deep

Hole centres are 50mm apart or 70mm diagonally and there is a red two pin connector at the end of the two wires.

Thanking you in advance for any help, or info 👍

Cheers,

Tim

I think you might be asking for the impossible here...

The size and speed of the fan both contribute to how much air it blows around. You're stuck with a small fan, so the only way to make it shift a lot of air is for it to run at a high speed (and therefore it's noisy!).

As you can't make it any bigger, you're a bit stuck.

That said, fans do get noisier with age (and then they fail completely), so it might be worth replacing it with a new one - just be sure it blows air the same direction as the old one.

So, looking at replacement options, and bearing in mind that it needs at least the airflow of the outgoing fan, EBM-pabst (reputable fan-maker) make 2 fans in this size and voltage:

614F: 24v, 1.1 watts 17.1 cfm (cubic feet per minute)

614F/39: 24v, 1.4 watts 19.4 cfm.

The headline figure is the cfm - how much air it moves. Problem is, we don't know that figure for the old fan. However, the cfm should be related to the power consumption of the fan. We don't know how much power your old fan uses either,  but we can work it out:

Power=VoltsxAmps

Power=24x0.12

=2.88w

Now that's quite a powerful fan - no wonder it's noisy. It's pretty much twice the power of the 614F/39. The relationship between power and cfm isn't linear though, so I suspect this one will output more like 28--30 cfm. And I think it would be unwise to go with much less...

As EBM Freak has already stated, most of the fans that are quiet(ish) but still give a reasonable throughput are 12v ones for computers - if you can find one that shifts enough air, why not fit one of those (with a suitable resistor, of course)

Edited by stevel
More info
  • Like 1

Id be tempted to use a voltage regulator to your drop from 24v to 12v. Then you are into the realms of more standard fans. Finding something that will cope with 28-30cfm could be quite trouble some from a fan of that size. Im wondering if there's enough room in the case to mod have multiple fans... hmm.

Thanks Guys 👍

The fan noise is only a tad to loud when playing at home, or in the studio. Live it wouldn't be a problem - however, on close inspection the fan does look like it's probably done a few sorties too many 🙈.

I have been using it for most of the day with the fan disconnected and it didn't even get warm 'at home' volume & as my next Gig looks like being on the twelfth of never, this could be a temporary fix? Obviously, I  wouldn't risk using it at live (fat chance) volume without reconnecting the fan. 

I have ordered a fan which has similar specs to the original, but has a different connector - which will test my minuscule electrical capability to the limit, I can feel a wire splice in the offing as I don't even know if the connectors can be swapped?

Thanks again for your help and advice Guys, it is very much appreciated👍👍

All the best,

Tim

29 minutes ago, dodgnofski said:

Thanks Guys 👍

The fan noise is only a tad to loud when playing at home, or in the studio. Live it wouldn't be a problem - however, on close inspection the fan does look like it's probably done a few sorties too many 🙈.

I have been using it for most of the day with the fan disconnected and it didn't even get warm 'at home' volume & as my next Gig looks like being on the twelfth of never, this could be a temporary fix? Obviously, I  wouldn't risk using it at live (fat chance) volume without reconnecting the fan. 

I have ordered a fan which has similar specs to the original, but has a different connector - which will test my minuscule electrical capability to the limit, I can feel a wire splice in the offing as I don't even know if the connectors can be swapped?

Thanks again for your help and advice Guys, it is very much appreciated👍👍

All the best,

Tim

There will be a positive and negative - the other will be a controller cable. Ignore that one. It may be nice to put a switch on the fan and mount it external - a recording mode and gig mode.

Thank you 👍 - I think there are only two wires on the replacement one - like the original, I’m just wondering if I can switch the connectors over, or if I will need to connect the new cables to the  old ones and therefore retaining the original connector 😳?

Than you again for your help 👍

Cheers,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Been thinking about this again and did some searching -

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2596.pdf?HQS=TI-null-null-mousermode-df-pf-null-wwe&ts=1596104226259&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mouser.co.uk%2F

This would give you a fairly efficient step down to 12v so you can open yourself up to more common, quieter, computer fans.

Or you can go with a linear regulator as I mentioned earlier.

Hi,

Thank you for the additional info 👍 - I have managed to source a 60mm, 24v jobbie which I am hoping will sort it out and prevent me having to tax the few brain cells I have left in my dotage attempting to fit a voltage converter😂😂🙈🙈. Although your advice is very much appreciated and would be the sensible, long term solution by as you say opening up the choice of fans in the future👍👍

Thank you again & all the best,

Tim

82ABA032-080A-4880-99B2-0847479A8050.jpeg

6 hours ago, dodgnofski said:

Hi,

Thank you for the additional info 👍 - I have managed to source a 60mm, 24v jobbie which I am hoping will sort it out and prevent me having to tax the few brain cells I have left in my dotage attempting to fit a voltage converter😂😂🙈🙈. Although your advice is very much appreciated and would be the sensible, long term solution by as you say opening up the choice of fans in the future👍👍

Thank you again & all the best,

Tim

No worries - if the fan is still too loud and you want to revisit at a later date, check this link - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=3d+printer+12v+fan - similar concept with some more detailed help.

On 15/07/2020 at 21:04, dodgnofski said:

Does anyone know of a whisper quiet fan to replace the one in my Eden WTX264 which is a tad too loud please?

Is the noise from the fan itself or from its mounting ? back Panel etc ?

If it's from the panel resonating then it might be possible to use compliant mountings / rubber 'worms' etc rather than screws etc.

Basically decoupling the fan from it's support.

As used to produce 'Quiet PCs' and similar.

Edited by rmorris