Why become a member? ×

Pedal prices and other random pedal chat!

Al Krow

Saw someone mention in the FS that a new Zoom B3n was selling for nearly £200 and I've just checked and seen that some of the other Zoom multi pedals have sky-rocketed too.

Is that just Zoom? Is there a supply / demand issue all of a sudden?

Edited by Al Krow
Went off topic pdq in good ol fashioned BC style

4 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

People are panic-buying them in advance of the second peak ...

You're clearly making subliminal reference to @ped's favourite fetish of limiters I take it? Very good at dealing with unwanted peaks...

• Haha 2

I think all things bass have rocketed in price especially strings but effects have gone up lots imo ehx seems to of put there prices up a good bit too I was after a couple of new pedals but thought they were a bit on the dear side so I didn't bother they were mooer pedals and each one was about 25 quid dearer than they were 12-18 months ago

Edited by Thunderbird
  • Like 1

On 15/07/2020 at 19:01, Al Krow said:

Saw someone mention in the FS that a new Zoom B3n was selling for nearly £200 and I've just checked and seen that some of the other Zoom multi pedals have sky-rocketed too.

Is that just Zoom? Is there a supply / demand issue all of a sudden?

The Zoom B1 four has been out of stock at Andertons, Guitarguitar, GAK, Thomann etc, not sure about the rest of their catalogue.  I don't think other pedal prices have gone up.

I've spent over a grand on pedals during the lockdown.  Lots of spare time during lockdown to peruse bass gear websites, stay in for deliveries and let GAS take over😟

6 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

The Zoom B1 four has been out of stock at Andertons, Guitarguitar, GAK, Thomann etc, not sure about the rest of their catalogue.  I don't think other pedal prices have gone up.

I've spent over a grand on pedals during the lockdown.  Lots of spare time during lockdown to peruse bass gear websites, stay in for deliveries and let GAS take over😟

Sounds like I was lucky to manage to snap up my B1-4 from the FS a few weeks' back then! 

£1k is an impressive sum: what did ya get?!

8 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

It all went wrong when Strymon managed to convince people to pay £300 for a delay pedal.

And of course the Klon and the KOT which proved £8 worth of parts and having to wait in line to own one creates stupidity in humans who want something NOW!

Weird thing about delay, chorus, flange, phase is I find that is stuff that current multifx can do pretty well (filter and synth is still tricky stuff, and decent pitch shift a challenge at the more budget multifx end). So for the cost of a B1-4 you could have yourself an excellent delay, a headphone amp, a tuner, a drum machine and a bunch of other fx! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Sounds like I was lucky to manage to snap up my B1-4 from the FS a few weeks' back then! 

£1k is an impressive sum: what did ya get?!

My wife is less than impressed!

Since lockdown started I've bought a TC electronic ditto X2 jam, TC Electronic Spectradrive, Ampeg Opto Comp, SFX microthumpinator and some fun stuff: Jam pedals Ripplyfall bass, Hampstead Soundworks Subspace and I 'won' an Aguilar Octamizer on eBay on Wednesday.  I have to pick up my Elf from GuitarGuitar in Camden over the weekend, after a repair, and I'll buy a Polytune 3 while I'm there.

8 hours ago, BillyBass said:

My wife is less than impressed!

Since lockdown started I've bought a TC electronic ditto X2 jam, TC Electronic Spectradrive, Ampeg Opto Comp, SFX microthumpinator and some fun stuff: Jam pedals Ripplyfall bass, Hampstead Soundworks Subspace and I 'won' an Aguilar Octamizer on eBay on Wednesday.  I have to pick up my Elf from GuitarGuitar in Camden over the weekend, after a repair, and I'll buy a Polytune 3 while I'm there.

That's a tidy haul! How are you liking the Subspace? Doesn't the Spectradrive have a built in tuner?

I've just totted up - actually I've not been any more restrained than you! £800 on pedals and £1,100 on a bass and cab - although the latter two were right at the start of lock-down, when none of us knew how long our purdah was about to be and and there was a chance that they would soon be used on gigs. Haha! 

• Like 1

Well the £800 was on the following - quite a lot I'd happily recommend to fellow BC'ers:

HB 50M board & Iso5 Pro PSU -  board has atypical 17.5cm depth perfect for a Zoom B1X-4 / Zoom B1-4, and the Iso5 is a very neat, noiseless and value for money PSU.

Tech 21 VT Bass DI – seems to still be the most loved of the Tech 21 pedals. It’s a great tone shaper. I’ve gushed about this plenty elsewhere!

3Leaf Proton (2020) – really easy to dial in and quality filter pedal. 3Leaf have taken all the best bits of their earlier models and packaged it neatly into this unfortunately very pricey, as with all things 3Leaf, little pedal.

Fishman Fission Powerchord – one came up at a very good price and they’re pretty rare. Always been interested to see what these things did. My attempts at doing a powerchord sim on Helix (and certainly on Zoom, which can’t really handle pitch shift at all) were pretty much a mush. More recent attempts on Helix have come a lot closer using the effects in parallel. It’s a bulky pedal and won’t be making it onto a pedal board. Likely to be moved on.

Lekato Loopstation Pro – the loopers on the Zoom and Helix are pants! This packs a huge amount of functionality into a tiny 1590A sized box and has taken the place of my old Boss RC-30. Was about £45 new including import costs. Highly recommended.

Zoom B1-4 – significantly smaller form factor than my B1X-4, now sitting at the heart of my mini board. Again a complete bargain at £45 used. Holding onto the Zoom B1X-4 though – will be very handy headphone amp / multifx to slip into a bass gig bag.

Ciocks DC7 – means I won’t need a separate PSU for my Helix – can power both the HX FX with 2 outputs / 1.3Amps leaving plenty of juice (3.3Amps over 5 outputs) for the rest of the board. Like all Ciocks gear, it comes at price.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, krispn said:

Tidy haul! Did I see a bass and cab mentioned in there too? 

Yeah but you know about those two already - got them back in March just in time for the start of lockdown and we discussed on the "Gear Abstinence (haha)" thread! 

13 hours ago, fretmeister said:

It all went wrong when Strymon managed to convince people to pay £300 for a delay pedal.

It is a very good delay pedal though

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Weird thing about delay, chorus, flange, phase is I find that is stuff that current multifx can do pretty well 

Yeh, but it can't do a big sky though can it?

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

That's a tidy haul! How are you liking the Subspace? Doesn't the Spectradrive have a built in tuner?

I've just totted up - actually I've not been any more restrained than you! £800 on pedals and £1,100 on a bass and cab - although the latter two were right at the start of lock-down, when none of us knew how long our purdah was about to be and and there was a chance that they would soon be used on gigs. Haha! 

The Subspace is a knob twiddlers dream.  You can get any sort of dirt you like out of it, from glitchy or clean fuzz to lightly overdriven tube warmth to distortion.  Hamstead Soundworks supply a booklet with a few different settings which produce a variety of dirt to suit one's palette and also suggest a starting point on the knobs, from where you can experiment.  If you want a particular sound you will get it on this pedal.  It also has a nice clean tone too and could be an always on pedal.

If you need fuzz for one song and distortion for the next then you either have to knob twiddle between songs or get another pedal.  It would be absolutely perfect if it was a Cog effects style 2 or 3 pedal in one but you can't have everything.  

The Spectradrive has compressor and dirt toneprint options but nothing else, no tuner.  I got it for the headphone out and aux in to practise at home with (the Zoom B1-four not being available) and thought it might be useful as a pre amp too.

And I also bought Strymon and MXR power supplies and a Little Marcus 500w special edition head, my Elf was going back to Peavey for repair so I had to buy another head while waiting for it to be returned😉.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Lekato Loopstation Pro – the loopers on the Zoom and Helix are pants! This packs a huge amount of functionality into a tiny 1590A sized box and has taken the place of my old Boss RC-30. Was about £45 new including import costs. Highly recommended.

Tell me more about this. I have the looper on the HX (not that I use it live) and I have a jamman solo, but just for sample playback.

What is so good about this? They seem cheap and small, which is a good thing as I don't have much room