Why become a member? ×

Is it possible?

apostrophe

Hello all.

I'm really clutching at straws here but I thought I'd give it a go before going to a tech which I imagine I will need to do anyway.

I've been playing for years but I'm embarrassingly lacking in technical know-how.

So... I have the head/amp from a Peavey DataBass 450watt combo - it blew the 15" BW 4ohm speaker years ago - apparently a design fault that happened a lot. I have just picked up a Trace Elliot 200watt 2x10" 8ohm cab.

Is there any way of combining these to have something usable?

I appreciate any comments/thoughts.

Thank you,

Chris.

Yes, plug one into the other and be careful with the volume level.

There's nothing to stop you plugging a 450W head into a 200W cabinet, just be careful with the volume.

I'm assuming the head has a speaker output.  If not it would be a simple job to add one.

Edited by James Nada

Shouldn't be a problem at all. The amp will be chucking about 250ish Watts with an 8 ohm cab but let your ears guide you. 

When it starts distorting/breaking up, turn it down.

I assume you've removed the head from the combo so just need a speaker lead from head to cab.

What I remember from that combo there is no decent box for the amp itself, so some woodworking may be in order. The switching output was optimized for a 4 ohm load. The output leads were just two wires with Abigo type connectors.

Do not push your TE too much and the set may be functional. This comment is a bit weak, as many bassists tend to drive their equipment to the limits depending on circumstances like "I was a bit drunk",  and "the others were noisy and I turned a bit more"...

Thank you all for your replies - I'm relieved that it sounds pretty simple. I just need to double check a couple of things before I go ahead. On the back of the TE cab are a 3 pin female  point with a jack input beside it labelled 'input' - AND a 3 pin male point with jack input beside it labelled 'link'. On the back of the Peavey amp(separated from original combo) is just a 3 pin male labelled 'Balanced line out'. There is of course two points underneath that had wires connecting to the BW speaker. I apologise again for my lack of knowledge - what do I connect to what? Thank you for any replies.

Chris

Edit  All 3 pin sockets mentioned are round.

Edited by apostrophe

The Balanced Line Out is DI output for connecting to a mixer or a slave amp. If it doesn't have a speaker output, you could wire the two points that were connected to the old speaker to a jack socket, and use this as a speaker output. You then use a jack-jack speaker cable to connect that socket to the cab.

• Like 1

Ok. Firstly thank you for taking the time to respond. 

I have a wire that used to connect to the BW speaker in the combo - it connects to the points under the amp with plastic connectors  but are bare wire at the end that used to connect to the speaker. Are you saying that these two bare wires could be wired-up to a jack? If so, do I connect it to the 'link' or 'input' in the TE cab?. Are the 3pin sockets I mentioned not connectable?

I'm sorry if I'm doing your head in!

I hope to get something working. Thank you for your patience.

Chris

Yeh you could just wire the two wires that were attached to the speaker, to the two points on a mono jack socket. Then you'd use a speaker cable to connect that socket to the input on the TE cab. The link socket is to connect a second cab.

The 3 pin sockets are XLR. On the amp, this is a DI out and will not be able to drive a speaker. On the cab it's just another connection that you could use instead of jacks, but XLR speaker leads are less common.

Right - I think I'm nearly there. I hugely appreciate your time here. So... I have a connector wire, attached to the terminals on the under-side of the Peavey amp, with two bare wires left - do I connect these to a quarter inch jack and plug straight in to the TE input? I don't understand where the speaker cable comes in to play.

I feel we are nearly there!

Thank you so much.

Chris

A photo would really help. You removed two wires from the speaker that blew, right? These two wires could be soldered onto a jack socket. You might have to drill a new hole in the amp's case to fit the socket to, then you would use this socket as a speaker output. Use a jack-jack speaker cable to connect this socket to the input socket on the cab

I guess you could just wire a jack plug onto the two wires but I doubt they'd be long enough to stretch to a cab underneath the amp, and it wouldn't be a very professional solution

I've simply connected the wires that were connected to the speaker in the combo to a jack plug and plugged that straight in to the 'input 'jack of the TE cab and I have 'sound'!.(obviously the other end of these are connected to the two points on the underside of the Peavey amp)

It's very crudely connected right now but it seems to work with decent volume and the EQ seems to do what it is supposed to do, so I assume happy days?

Thank you,

Chris

• Like 1

In all honesty I've got some sound out of it, so I know it works! I definitely have NOT insulated it or followed any safety standards, so I will now take it to someone that can make sure it is safe. At least I know it works and I won't need to fork out loads of dosh!

Thank you for your huge patience.

Chris

• Like 1

I used the cabinet part of a Trace combo (122HSMX), added a speaker terminal and plugged all sorts of amps into it, including a QSC PLX 1202 bridged to give 1200wrms into 4ohms. The drivers were 2x10 Celestions rated at 160w and 8ohms in total.

The cab took more than anyone could withstand in terms of volume and never showed any signs of distress. I didn't /don't use any nasty fx like an octave or synth, but nor did I run a compressor.

I reckon you're fairly safe with the 450w Peavey, as long as you don't run it too hard for too long.