Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz USA 1999 white body fully loaded PRICE DROP £350
£400
Harpenden

Great condition fully loaded and just needs a neck, plate/screws and strings and ready to go.

Wood unknown but presumed Alder as was paired with a rosewood fingerboard.

Pickups have been replaced with Dimarzio by previous owner.

Paintwork has gently tanned to a lovely off-white and is very smooth and shiny with no significant scratches as per the pics; three small dings as per the photos which are not visible except very close up and don't detract from the clean look of this body.

20200715_140559.jpg

20200715_140636.jpg

20200715_140613.jpg

20200715_140648.jpg

20200715_140711.jpg

20200715_140818.jpg

Edited by tomthebass

If this was a 1999 usa body, it should have string through body ferrules, also the bridge is a non-fender. 

Solid bodies without string through body were from 1993 or older.

Also the pickguard should have a cut out for the truss rod.

Looks like this is a fender mex body.

Edited by Aero71

Thanks for your comments Aero71.  Obviously I'm not deliberately trying to commit fraud here so here's what I know about the body.

Bought here on basschat as a complete bass a couple of months ago, the USA neck and serial number consistent with 1999 (not 1990 as originally advertised):

Some discussion and opinions from basschat experts on its authenticity:

And regarding the pick guard, there is no cutout because in the American Traditional neck the truss rod nut is in the headstock.

I believe American Traditionals were not strung through body.

So, plenty of evidence for this being a US body and none I am aware of supporting it being MIM.

American Trad series were a hybrid of Mex and USA although I forget the finer details. They are great instruments, forerunners of the Highway One series (as mentioned by Karl in the original FS ad)? I think the one I owned a while back had a single strat-style pick-guard and no chrome control plate

Edited by Beedster

29 minutes ago, tomthebass said:

Thanks Chris,

My eyes keep doing a double take, is it a jazz or is it a strat?!! 😂

Tom

I know, it's unexpected isn't it! Mine was very nice and felt authentically vintage at a time when Fender tended to churn out instruments covered in heavy and very un-vintage coat of, I assume, poly. I think it was more authentically vintage feeling than the subsequent and numerous relic series also. It was also very light. 

If only I liked Jazz Basses :)

12 minutes ago, Aero71 said:

So a American Traditional it is. Just reacted because the neck pocket stamps are similar to a mex body, no ts access on the body and different bridge. 

My apologies and GLWTS.

Without wishing to distract from the sales thread (my apologies Tom) I wish there were more such discussion here mate, it’s informative, often builds confidence among potential buyers, and in the odd occasion when it doesn’t, is probably saving  at least one member a great deal of hassle. In this case, and to my mind, the discussion has made the item for sale more attractive :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2020 at 10:30, Beedster said:

Without wishing to distract from the sales thread (my apologies Tom) I wish there were more such discussion here mate, it’s informative, often builds confidence among potential buyers, and in the odd occasion when it doesn’t, is probably saving  at least one member a great deal of hassle. In this case, and to my mind, the discussion has made the item for sale more attractive :)

Good reason for having a thread on how to identify genuine instruments...would be a great resource for the less knowledgeable.

• 1 month later...