Why become a member? ×

More unusual instruments you fancy learning

Other than bass guitar and any other commonplace instruments you might play are there any more unusual ones any BCers would like to take up or regret not having learnt or given up. I'm a big Grecophile and want to learn the bouzouki. Just love the sound and am a tad partial to Greek folk music. Other than that there's the hammered dulcimer but they're pretty expensive and hard to play quietly. Ditto the uillean pipes plus they're hard to play so 'praps I should've started donkeys ears ago.

• Like 1

It’s not unusual, but I really Wanted to learn Mandolin. Two of my friends have them and I tried playing a little and it’s basically a physical impossibility because my fingers are so fat 😄

52 minutes ago, NJE said:

It’s not unusual, but I really Wanted to learn Mandolin. Two of my friends have them and I tried playing a little and it’s basically a physical impossibility because my fingers are so fat 😄

Saw a bloke demonstrating mandolins at a show for Collings a few years back. He was the size of a grizzly bear with hands like frying pans and he was playing some amazing stuff on the mandolin.

8 minutes ago, Japhet said:

Saw a bloke demonstrating mandolins at a show for Collings a few years back. He was the size of a grizzly bear with hands like frying pans and he was playing some amazing stuff on the mandolin.

Don’t say that, I was the finger excuse to cover for my ineptitude 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mandolin is fine with fat fingers, you're supposed to mash 2 strings at a time. I do that on guitar and it doesn't sound good, on mandolin it's fine.

I always fancied having a Rudra Veena, but I'm not sure I'd fit between the gourds.

• Like 1

A few years ago @Lozz196 and I went to see @lawriemacmillan's band - one of the band was a Harp player.

I'd heard a Dub plate at Glastonbury a few years earlier - Drum, bass and Harp - absolutely wicked tune. Ever since I've craved a harp - even though I have no idea what's involved.

I hope I never meet somebody who can play one - it would only cause me GAS.

• Like 1

I used to play the mandolin, but my kids broke it years ago and I haven’t bought a replacement. Maybe one day I’ll get back into it.

I’m quite handy on the recorder too. Not that that’s any use to anyone ☹️

Edited by paul_5

1 hour ago, paul_5 said:

I’m quite handy on the recorder too. Not that that’s any use to anyone ☹️

I saw some chap called Tony Visconti playing the recorder at a concert a while back. He seems to have done alright for himself. 🙂

Just got an Eastman mandolin at a seriously reduced price a couple of weeks back and having great fun with it.

6 hours ago, Japhet said:

I love the sound of these. Would love to have a go.

I've been looking at handpans for a while now... I got a Rav Vast in B Onoleo a couple of years ago and play that more than my bass these days!

More sustain but not as rich sounding as a handpan.

Try their virtual player out if you have a touchscreen!

https://ravvast.com/virtualplayer/?drum=18

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 2