Why become a member? ×

Weird warbly bit on Hysteria...

NicoMcJ

I did do a forum search before posting this - I promise - but no dice...

I'm trying to get that Hysteria intro sound dialled in and I'm pretty close.  I've got the right amount of nasty square wave distortion/fuzz, I've got the pickup balance just right and I've got the clean/dirt ratio about there.

What I can't nail is that weird, warbly bit that's going on in the high-end range for the intro and ending.

Is it a phaser? Is it a Bassballs? Is it some trickery not available to us mere mortals?

I have a Pod Go, so a pretty wide range of things to try if anyone has any suggestions?

I think I'm getting closer! I used a MuTron model on the band-pass setting with quite a narrow Q at a 35% mix.  It was still lacking. Just for shear morbid curiosity I popped on a sub octave at a 50/50 ratio and BOOM, closest I've ever got.

Close enough for rock n roll anyway.

So:

-Jazz bass, bridge pickup, tone on about 50%

-Digitech Drop with the dry+sub octave setting

-Line 6 Pod Go with a real Big Muff in the FX loop, mixed at 60%

-Mutron filter model, band pass setting, narrow Q, low mix

I understand that I'll never recreate the proper tone without a full studio of goodies at my disposal, but it's definitely close enough to fool the casual observer.

Can't believe I found this...

This was a VERY DRUNK jam night in 2008. You can't actually see me until the very end and as the bass is a bit quiet you can only hear the full tone for the first few seconds.

Anyway - It was a Status Fretless with La Bella Flats (I am not joking!!)  into a Boss LS2 line selector. In 1 loop there was a EHX Metal Muff, in the other the Digitech BSW. Then when combined into a compressor to even them out a bit. In hindsight the swirly bit is a bit loud compared to the rest, but I like it.

Let the embarrassment commence...

(I need to confirm exactly how p1ssed we were.... as a mattress. We had never played together before, not even a rehearsal).

• Like 2

On 15/07/2020 at 13:07, NicoMcJ said:

Is it some trickery not available to us mere mortals?

I understood it to be a synth doubled with the bass guitar. Of course, in a studio situation, its possible to focus in on a recorded bassline and also (either transcribing or knowing the music) put together a MIDI track of the same thing and if the bass guitar departs from the exact timing (which of course, it will do, being played by a human) tweak the MIDI notes to match. 

I've experimented with audio-to-MIDI and its possible, but there's a lag and also restrictions (at least, on the tools I used) in that the aftertouch and any pitch bend info aren't sensed. I'm not sure if the velocity maps that well either. And of course, there is a lag which isn't too bad if its a guitar playing high notes, but on a bass, the laws of physics means the lag is basically unusable.

So it might be possible with a synth-type effect (if you can accept the lag of the synth part) or with a keyboard player also playing the same line, in a live situation.

• Like 1

It was a fun night. Raised a load of cash for a charity.

Best bit of the night wasn't a performance as such - some idiot was having a go at the PA guys. They had provided the rig for free to help the charity.

Bloke was doing the "you don't know what you're doing. Have you even got any good kit????"

PA Guy - "This is our smallest rig. Our biggest one is currently in Wembley Stadium with Robbie Williams!"

As passive-aggressive mic-drops go, that was ace! :D 

• Haha 1