Why become a member? ×

Are Cog Effects still a going concern?

BillyBass

16 hours ago, Sibob said:

I'm not sure I'm afraid, I don't want to continue asking him about it tbh, when he's ready, he's ready I think.
I still see him posting frequently on his personal Facebook, so I imagine all is as well as it can be.

Cheers
Si

Lol! I think he'll start up again, when the Tory Government falls. Hes very passionate about that 😁

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 22/10/2020 at 20:38, Ramsay777 said:

Digging up an old thread here but I was doing a bit of searching for myself, I emailed him about this time last year and he got back to me saying he was planning more stock in the new year but I didn't hear anything more. 

There's currently a T-70 for sale on the forum if you're still looking for something.

I'm after a Grand Tarkin, just messaged through the website there to see if I have any joy.

There's a  custom grand tarkin for sale over in effects. 

On 15/07/2020 at 17:18, BillyBass said:

Thanks for replying all of you.  All I want is just one teeny weeny T-47 but maybe I'll try something else.

I've got a custom finish T65 for sale if you're interested? Not quite a T47 but close....ish.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 0175westwood29 said:

If Tom has put the company on hiatus or even closed it down I think ignored is the wrong word to use really 

What other word would you use?  If the email address is still live and he hasn't set an auto reply to say he's currently away from emails or the business is no more, it doesn't matter what the reason is, he's ignoring them.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Resurrecting this thread again…

Has anybody heard on the grapevine whether COG will make a return? First and foremost I hope Tom and his family are okay, but as a second order point I would still be very keen to try a T-65 or a T-70, so it would be very happy news if they were to be produced again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/06/2022 at 18:37, admiralchew said:

Resurrecting this thread again…

Has anybody heard on the grapevine whether COG will make a return? First and foremost I hope Tom and his family are okay, but as a second order point I would still be very keen to try a T-65 or a T-70, so it would be very happy news if they were to be produced again.

No idea. All the emails I sent bounced. Only thing I got to stock was posting to the cog Facebook page. I could probably get hold of him with a bit of effort as he’s a friend of a woodwind tech I know, but I don’t want to pry. 

• Like 2

On 24/06/2022 at 08:24, Quatschmacher said:

No idea. All the emails I sent bounced. Only thing I got to stock was posting to the cog Facebook page. I could probably get hold of him with a bit of effort as he’s a friend of a woodwind tech I know, but I don’t want to pry. 

Thanks for taking the time to provide an update. I don't want to bother him. If he releases more pedals then that would be great but, if he doesn't, such is life. The website was down briefly a week or so ago but is back up now. I take that as a helpful to neutral sign.

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

Promising update from Tom on Facebook today.

For those without ‘the book’:

“TL:DR - a small batch of T-16 Octaves have been added to the webstore with more to be added ASAP, some other things are changing at Cog too

------

Hello all,

First up I want to let you know there are some T-16s available at www.cogeffects.co.uk/shop

Second, I just want to confirm that Cog Effects is still a thing, I'm making pedals and plan to do so for the foreseeable, but I need to make some changes to make it sustainable both financially and for my own health.

It's no secret that I haven't added stock to the website for some time.

The main reason for this is an absolute slump in my own mental health in recent years due to a combination of factors both in and out of my control that I either hadn't or couldn't effectively deal with and, to be brutally honest, this spiralled and I almost completely shut down. This has affected my personal life, physical and mental wellbeing, relationships, and of course Cog Effects. Over recent months, and with the support of people I am grateful to have in my life, I've begun to get to grips with many of these issues so I can start moving forward again. This will have some practical changes for Cog, which I will begin to outline below. The largest issue I have faced with Cog is having too many metaphorical balls in the air, which has been detrimental both to the level of service I have been able to offer and to my own wellbeing, and the changes I plan to make will be to help limit this.

1. The product range will be more streamlined. This will mean some pedals are retired, either temporarily or permanently. When new pedals are added this may then result in older ones being retired, again either temporarily or permanently.

2. New pedals will be less focused on earlier Cog designs, and more on aspects of effects that particularly interest me - primarily octave effects, modulation and signal routing.

3. Standard pedals will be simpler and more stripped back in appearance.

4. Pedals will be available to purchase only when they are in stock and ready to post.

5. I will have dedicated times set aside when I will handle correspondence, and plan to limit contact just to email (as opposed to social media messages as well) so I can stay on top of it better.

You can get me on [email protected]

My aim with Cog Effects is to keep it simple, and to build products that I personally find interesting or inspiring for as long as enough other people also find them appealing enough to keep this financially viable. I have no aspirations for major outsourcing or sitting in an office while other people do the work or anything like that, and while I understand that such a choice will no doubt limit what I am able to offer/achieve in the future I'm also aware that because of how my brain works these changes will allow me to keep on top of things more easily.

Finally, mental health is some proper serious stinky poo. We all need to look out for those around us and step up for each other when things go sideways. Asking for help is not always easy, even when there are people who we know would want to help. Every single one of us has the ability to be a light in the darkness for someone else, reaching out can make a difference.

Tom x“

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 9