Why become a member? ×

NBD Mike Dirnt/Status Content

Deedee

Well not quite new but you know what I mean. After ogling the Status Vintage GP model and also numerous 50's precisions I decided to concoct my own version.

Perhaps not one for the purists this is a MIM Fender Mike Dirnt in Vintage White (otherwise known as pale custard yellow) which I purchased from @billge along with a Status P neck courtesy of @Cuzzie (also thanks to @HazBeen who gave me some valuable advice along the way).

The obvious problem with fitting a different neck onto a 50's style P is the neck heel. The 50's basses have a square heel and everything else has the more common rounded heel. A rounded heel neck will however fit in the square heel socket, it just leaves visible gaps in the corners which the scratchplate doesn't cover. Step forward GIG.ink @TimAl who manufactured me a Mike Dirnt plate with the necessary rounded heel.

I'm really pleased with it. The neck and body make a great combination and after hearing lots of goods things about the '59 pickup in these MD basses I'm not disappointed. I may decide to go for another off-white or cream plate in the future but I think the black looks pretty good. 😁   

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by Deedee
  • Like 23

1 minute ago, Happy Jack said:

Nice, very nice. Desperately resisting the urge to start looking for a Vintage GP Artist - I really loved that neck and the punch it gave.

Don’t resist - just crack on with that or pop a neck on something - love mine

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

I had the squier MD bass a few years back and like a fool I sold it. I think there was a Mexican version knocking around too, as well as a higher end sig? Love the tele headstock on them, but this one here looks cool too.

Yep, this is the Mexican version with the ‘59 pickup and BadA$$ bridge

• 3 weeks later...

I keep harassing Dirnt owners but if you decide to change the pick up I’ll take the ‘59 off your hands. Tidy looking bass! Ooh and when I had mine I had a custom pick guard done but using the Lakland style plate with a flat edge parallel to the pick up just for a slightly different look.

https://www.lakland.com/product/skyline-series-44-51/

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, krispn said:

I keep harassing Dirnt owners but if you decide to change the pick up I’ll take the ‘59 off your hands. Tidy looking bass! Ooh and when I had mine I had a custom pick guard done but using the Lakland style plate with a flat edge parallel to the pick up just for a slightly different look.

https://www.lakland.com/product/skyline-series-44-51/

I think that you offered me your original pickguard when I was moving on my Mike D Gav, many moons ago!

They are cracking basses but the one I had weighed a bloomin ton. It was bought on here, I think I swapped it for a 60`s Jazz and moved it on after a while. Another one I regret moving on and seeing this one with a Status neck puts me right in the mood for another one.

• Like 1