Why become a member? ×

August 1960 Stackpot Jazz Bass -ON HOLD
£22000
South East UK

pmjos

On 17/07/2020 at 13:50, lowregisterhead said:

This site has an amazing habit of bringing back old memories, often prompted by basses of yesteryear that come up for sale on here.

I played a 1960 stack-knob jazz just like this one back in 1981. It was the property of prolific Edinburgh-based musician and actor Neil Hay, who I had the pleasure of meeting when I took over from him in a resident band in a Tiffany's club in Newcastle. He told me about its rarity even then and what a great bass it was, but I'm ashamed to say I was young and foolish and took very little notice, being obsessed with active Japanese basses and trying to sound like Mark King. Well, it was the 80's after all...

Sadly, Neil passed away in 1994, and although this isn't his bass, I do wonder what happened to it. Did anyone on here know him?

I was lined up to buy that very bass. I recall Neil's widow wanted to emigrate to Oz and start a new life. It had been valued then at £2000 (even then I thought that was an undervalue) but she would accept £1200 for a quick sale. Because of bad relations with my bank, a bank loan was OOTQ and by the time I had raised the money it had been sold to the bassist in Glasgow band Gun, so I was informed.

There was a story how Neil came into possession of that bass. He apparently met a girl in a nightclub one night and they went back to her place. During conversation, he revealed that he was a bassist. "Oh, my uncle used to play bass!" she said. "He doesn't play any more and he keeps it here!" She knelt down and from under her bed pulled out a two-tone 'burst stackpot Jazz. Neil got it for a song.

Edited by NikNik
  • Like 5

On 18/07/2020 at 09:57, NikNik said:

I was lined up to buy that very bass. I recall Neil's widow wanted to emigrate to Oz and start a new life. It had been valued then at £2000 (even then I thought that was an undervalue) but she would accept £1200 for a quick sale. Because of bad relations with my bank, a bank loan was OOTQ and by the time I had raised the money it had been sold to the bassist in Glasgow band Gun, so I was informed.

There was a story how Neil came into possession of that bass. He apparently met a girl in a nightclub one night and they went back to her place. During conversation, he revealed that he was a bassist. "Oh, my uncle used to play bass!" she said. "He doesn't play any more and he keeps it here!" She knelt down and from under her bed pulled out a two-tone 'burst stackpot Jazz. Neil got it for a song.

Another reason why I love this site - you get replies like this! That's a great story about how Neil came into possession of the bass. He had only just got it when I met him, so it must have been the result of a liaison in the very same club, Tiffany's in Bridge Street in Newcastle, now long gone, sadly. It was an interesting gig, like Sodom and Gomorrah with red velour seats and plastic palm trees!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 18/07/2020 at 09:57, NikNik said:

Or maybe some other 4 letter word beginning with 's' and ending 'g'. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1