Why become a member? ×

Less is more, more is less, less is less, more is more, more is more or less

45 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Usually the bass in such set ups needs to fill things out a bit, however, and rather bizarrely for the genre, the singer had a good melodic voice and we soon found out that any clever bass lines I played simply got in the way of his melodies.

So you volunteered to sing a few songs to make a vacuum for a clever bass-line? Or did I miss your point ;)?

My ideal would be the melodic and harmonic inventiveness of Bach, and the dexterity and danceability of James Jamerson.

However, that would require more skill than I have.  It's not often needed either - or even possible, when other musicians need help keeping time (drummers and strummers, most often). 

So, I am happy to hear "more is more" music, but my gig (and lack of talent) requires Less is More.     

It really depends on the type of music being played.  The old Motown and soul music recordings would be nothing without a good thumping bass line but that style doesn't suit every genre of music.

I like melodic playing (not that I can do it) like McCartney.  A bass line that compliments the song but does not dominate it.  I just don't get the bass players who come to the front of the stage and try to cram as many notes in as possible with a "look at me" attitude.  It's very clever and way above my skill level, but after about 20 seconds, I'm wondering where the tune has gone and where the song is.

I play in a church band and my job, along with the drummer, is to make sure everyone - including the congregation - keeps together.  Hitting the root notes is paramount and, depending on the song, the odd little arpeggio can add a little colour.  It's horses for courses but I must admit that "less is more" suits me as I can't play much more!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

So you volunteered to sing a few songs to make a vacuum for a clever bass-line? Or did I miss your point ;)?

You’ve not heard me on lead vocals, no amount of clever bass lines would hide that - and that’s not a positive  😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember a few years ago in an originals band.

Someone had written a new song, and we played it though a few times. Something didn't sound right about the drums..... boring and leaden, not the drummers usual expressive style.

So I turned to the drummer to ask what was going on.

I can't remember his exact words..... but essentially he said he was playing for the song.

I asked him to play his expressive syle...... he could always do so and we would let him know if and when he needed to reign it in.

• Like 1

Generally I'm drawn to busy players. In the old days when I used to go to (modern) Churches a lot, the bands would vary from terrible to very good. The bands on the highest rung of my appreciation always had an amazing bass player doing a lot with the songs, and it was that which lifted the music to the top level. 

Also, my fave players are the likes of Geddy Lee, Billy Sheehan, Chris Squire, not known for hiding in the background!

1 hour ago, Angel said:

Generally I'm drawn to busy players. In the old days when I used to go to (modern) Churches a lot, the bands would vary from terrible to very good. The bands on the highest rung of my appreciation always had an amazing bass player doing a lot with the songs, and it was that which lifted the music to the top level. 

Also, my fave players are the likes of Geddy Lee, Billy Sheehan, Chris Squire, not known for hiding in the background!

I get where you're coming from . One of my preferred genres is funk and funk-tinged pop and it was always been the syncopation and upfront bass playing that's been the core of its appeal. So my fave players have tended to be band leaders or other upfront players with chops aplenty e.g. Louis Johnson, Larry Graham, Marcus Miller, Mark King, Bootsy, Bernard Edwards and many less well known but great players like Julian Crampton, Armand Sabal-Lecco and Scott Ambush.

Edited by Barking Spiders

I don't think the op was asking which style of playing was correct, nor which we choose to play in which context.

The question seems to be more which kind of player are you. By instinct, in your heart. 

So even though my style has matured (become less risky and adventurous) as I've gotten older, there's no question I'm a front of stage player by nature. 

I have always been excited by the bass. While I love finding a groove and just sitting on it, I adore hearing an ascending run climb from the swamp, muscle its way through the mix, and rise to glory. 

When I started out I couldn't play enough notes. I always tried to stay with the kick, but I matched every drum fill beat for beat. I loved it. I had no one to tell me it was too busy and therefore wrong. 

Listening to the very few cassettes I have of that band, I am astonished by the playing. I doubt I could play half the lines today; my memory isn't good enough, my hands get tired just thinking about it. 

So that's the player I am. But it isn't the style I play any more. Have I become lazier and boring as I've got old? Yes, absolutely no question. But luckily I have found Basschat where I've learned that I can justify this by saying I am 'serving the song', and 'less is more'. 

But come see me play and every now and then the music takes me, like a Tardis, back to 1982 and for four bars or so I'm that naive, enthusiastic young bassist who just can't get enough. 

• Like 3

Because I'm first and foremost a composer my bass playing always serves the song.

If I'm writing on the bass, the first version will be busy and full (lots of two note chords and 2/3 string patterns/arpeggios) this will simplify down once I present it to the rest of the band to give them some space.

If I'm writing on another instrument or coming up with a bass line to fit a song written by one of the other band members, it will start off simple (probably root notes only), develop to get fairly complex, and then simplify down to somewhere between the first and second versions once all the other instruments have found their space.

Surely there's no either/or. At times, roots and simplicity is needed, at other times, inventiveness/solo playing. The jazz or orchestral player's mindset - we should play as part of the ensemble when appropriate and stretch out when appropriate. It depends on the material, of course.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Because I'm first and foremost a composer my bass playing always serves the song.

If I'm writing on the bass, the first version will be busy and full (lots of two note chords and 2/3 string patterns/arpeggios) this will simplify down once I present it to the rest of the band to give them some space.

If I'm writing on another instrument or coming up with a bass line to fit a song written by one of the other band members, it will start off simple (probably root notes only), develop to get fairly complex, and then simplify down to somewhere between the first and second versions once all the other instruments have found their space.

Nice description(s) of the evolution of a bassline.

If I write a song on bass, I normally intended from the outset that it will be a bass led song. Therefore the bassline will not often change much by the final version. I may abandon the song if nothing fits around it.

Otherwise (written on other instrument or by someone else) I follow much the same path as you describe.

Edited by Nail Soup

On 14/07/2020 at 18:32, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'm definitely in the less is more camp.

But then again, I'm sh#t! 😂

When we first started out we were sh*t  too but we used to make up for this by being totally over the top. Posing and wearing ridiculous outfits. Consequently we used to continually blow off the stage other bands that were better than us musically. It was uncanny. People could see we were enjoying ourselves so much that they couldn't help enjoying themselves in turn. We played easy songs that were good to jump around to. Fast forward to my most recent band and the rhythm guitarist was the worst shoe gazer, miserable stick in the mud that it was untrue. People used to tell him to smile all the time and some thought he was about to burst into tears. Try as we would he would never change.

• Like 1

I play in an originals band.  The song always comes first but if it really does need any 'flashy bits' I'll oblige, no problem.

Someone told me a very long time ago that you make yourself sound good by making the band sound good (all things being equal, I suppose should be added).