Why become a member? ×

Less is more, more is less, less is less, more is more, more is more or less

Which school of bass playing do you subscribe to? There are those who think the bass should neither be seen nor heard, just felt I guess. Then there are those like me who think it should be a bit flash and in-yer-face and an equal of the guitar. My fave players tend to be the/a main figure in their bands and /or whose lines listeners tend to notice and remember.

• Like 1

I suppose it depends somewhat on one's own personality. Some folks are flash beggars, wanting to be noticed, others are more discreet, not wishing to draw attention to themselves. For my part, I've no wish to be forward, and the bass players I appreciate the most I recognise more for their musical abilities than anything else. Many I've never seen, in picture or live, so wouldn't know how they project themselves. To me, it's an irrelevance. Good playing is good playing, whether out front or backing another. Simple, really.

If you can carry off a busy bass playing style then good for you. There are players who can do that and styles where busy can fit, but most busy players seems to be of the "look at me and my clever playing" school.

"Less is more" is a way of dropping a gentle hint that someone's "incredible" playing is really a pile of shite, the bass equivalent of verbal diarrhoea, and that their busy and inappropriate lines aren't making it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chris_b said:

If you can carry off a busy bass playing style then good for you. There are players who can do that and styles where busy can fit, but most busy players seems to be of the "look at me and my clever playing" school.

"Less is more" is a way of dropping a gentle hint that someone's "incredible" playing is really a pile of shite, the bass equivalent of verbal diarrhoea, and that their busy and inappropriate lines aren't making it.

+1 There's a lot of good bass players out there who know "when to keep their chops in their pocket". Guys like Pino, and Mike Visceglia (Suzanne Vega's bassist) are a couple that spring to mind. 

Every band I've played in whether it be an originals or a covers band, I've gone in with the mentality that it's mine and the drummer's job to make everyone else sound good. If I've played my part in that, then I'm happy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Which school of bass playing do you subscribe to? There are those who think the bass should neither be seen nor heard, just felt I guess. Then there are those like me who think it should be a bit flash and in-yer-face and an equal of the guitar. My fave players tend to be the/a main figure in their bands and /or whose lines listeners tend to notice and remember.

I would like to think I play the school of bass playing that (hopefully) enhances the song/music. Sometimes that means being very busy, sometimes less so, sometimes I play literally nothing. If you’re not trying to do the thing that makes the music work best you’re doing it wrong. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, chris_b said:

“Less is more” is entirely subjective, and to be honest, somewhat trite. And again, if you subscribe to that 100% of the time, then you’re not open to the possibilities of what the music may require. 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'm definitely in the less is more camp.

But then again, I'm sh#t! 😂

Me too, but dress it up like an 'artistic choice' like I did.

Erm......this thing isn't on is it...? ;)

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm just thankful that we have the variety we have... simple basslines, complex bass lines and everything inbetween.

Sometimes it's right to "serve the song", but I'm glad not everyone takes that approach all the time.

Bass is part of the song, can lead the song, can define the song.

• Like 1

I’m the opposite to busy playing really, I pay more attention to the length of my notes and muting in the right place , and leaving space where I can , the fastest song I play is probably World is Africa by Black Uhuru , I do like watching fast  players though , especially funk and slap 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

“Less is more” is entirely subjective, and to be honest, somewhat trite. And again, if you subscribe to that 100% of the time, then you’re not open to the possibilities of what the music may require. 

As I say, if you can carry it off fine. James Jamerson was busier than most and what he played was spot on. Less is more always comes with the caveat that it doesn't apply to great playing. 

It does all depend on so many factors. In my last band we were a punk/Oi trio, where the guitarist was the lead singer. Usually the bass in such set ups needs to fill things out a bit, however, and rather bizarrely for the genre, the singer had a good melodic voice and we soon found out that any clever bass lines I played simply got in the way of his melodies. So less was more, for our specific set up, after all as much as it grieves me to admit it people wanted to hear his singing and melodies more than they did my bass. Strange I know.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It depends entirely on the context.

These threads raise their head every few months or so in various disguises - "never play above the 5th fret!", "chords over everything!", "roots 'n' fifths only!", "slap it like it owes ya money!" 🤣 None of which are right.......or wrong! @Stub Mandrel said it for me "It depends entirely on the context". If we all subscribed to the less is more then those oft hallowed basslines from Rhythm Stick, Rio, Do I Do, Wherever I Lay My Hat, Roundabout etc. wouldn't exist. Likewise a pumping 16th note frenzy as the bassline for Dreams or Too Soon to Tell probably wouldn't work too well either. 😁