Why become a member? ×

Tc bg 250 208 combo

jassbass

On 15/07/2020 at 13:03, Bigguy2017 said:

My bro' does pub gigs (electric, folky - e-guitar, a-guitar, mandolin, bass, rhythm, vocals) with a TC BG250-208 combo, but usually they have no drums just one of those cajon things...

With drums it is not loud enough.

I was considering one of these when I was looking at combos , hearing this makes me happy I chose a Fender rumble , surprising a 250w combo isnt loud enough to be gigable

It's the whole Watts v Loudness thing... also 'solid state' Watts v valve Watts...

BG250-208 combo only gives 250W into 4R with an extension cab - the internal speaker load is 8R, so only 120W ish

Speaker efficiency is a big factor. I have the vol at 45% for neighbour friendly living room practicing.

I used to gig in a loud NWOBM band using a Maine 120W 2 x 12 combo and two Vitavox 15" W bins; this was extremely, trouser flapping loud!

So many of the new class D amps around 200/300W don't give as much volume as a 100W Orange valve head into a 4 x 12" cab... on the other hand, with some very efficient cabs a 50W amp will do.

TC BG250-208. I've used one alone and with ext cab.

Alone it projects well and with a bit of compression from the spectracomp surprised me for a 2 x 8.

With an ext cab I thought it lived up to it's wattage rating.

The Fender Rumble range are amps that you can't go wrong with. There's one to suit all.

I use the BH250 head now through 1 or 2 BF One10s. Plenty for me but only you know how much loudness you want.