Why become a member? ×

Good Times, Bad Times transcriptions

bassbora

I stated going through all my music books and pdfs I have collected over the years these last few months and dusting off my reading.  I have been going over Jaco, Jameson, Nathan Watts to name but few and John Paul Jones which is up there with them.  So as a student back in the '90s I played Good Times from some book and I was just happy to be able to keep up with JPJ and play what was in the book (it was a photocopy from my teacher which I still have all these years later).  Anyway so I find this other transcription the other day and I was going to have a look and its very different from that old photocopy.  As we all know these old books were quite often wrong if not very wrong.  So I thought I would see if I could find an isolated bass track on youtube and see what the man did.  I am now more confused.  I found something (Good Times isolated track) but that is so different from both transcriptions.  I have not included them here but I have a question, does anyone know if that is really JPJ in that link???  Its the verse and chorus part which I am totally confused about and even what is played in the solo.

This is really bugging me

8 minutes ago, TKenrick said:

I did a transcription of this a while back using the original recording and having listened to that isolated track I severely doubt it's JPJ - either that or my ears really aren't all that good 😂 apart from the actual note choices, the tone/attack seems to be quite far from what's on the record.

Hey thanks for the reply. I thought when I was listening to this isolated part this was not JPJ but someone trying to out do him and it was in few places but most notably in the solo. It did not sound like the record and I even spent this afternoon listening to it with headphones few times and was certain it was not him. It was interesting but just someone trying to put too many notes in, not as tasteful as the original. 

I think I might have looked at your transcription if you posted it on here. If not yours I think I found it through here.