Why become a member? ×

Temporarily withdrawn: Fender Roadworn Jazz 3TSB
£800
South Wales

Marc S

PRICE: £750 (original control plate only)

I can't believe I'm doing this, as I'm a fan of the RW series... but I need to thin the herd (I've just got too many).

FOR SALE ONLY is my superb Fender Roadworn Jazz bass. It's one of the earlier models to be available. I played a new one in a shop recently, in rather fetching Fiesta Red, and it didn't feel half as nice as this one.

Those in the know, will appreciate just how good these basses are. They feel "worn-in" and well played, and look and sound the business. I weighed it on some accurate digital scales, and it's around 3.8 - 3.9 Kgs - which is very light for a Jazz. I fitted a Kiogon Stacked control wiring loom and added a Brass earth strip, for that added touch of 60's vibe. I grew to really like the added option of a tone control on each pickup. The price includes the original control plate too - but I'm willing to drop my asking price a bit, if you only want the original control plate.

Collection only please, I'm in South Wales. I always prefer to let the buyer try before buying, and make sure everyone's happy, and I prefer not to trust couriering expensive instruments.
I'm happy to meet halfway somewhere - I've got a battery amp, so you can test the bass.
Absolutely no trades at all (unless you have a Wingbass) - as I say, I need to thin the herd, sadly 

It's currently fitted with Flatwound strings - "Flats on a Jazz?" I hear you say :o I can let you have a nearly new set of Rotosound rounds, if that's your preference - I fitted them for a couple of weeks and then tried flats on the bass, and grew to like it that way :) 

EDIT: Now with Original Control plate ONLY - someone wanted the Stacked Control plate separately.

RW1.jpg

RW3.jpg

RW8.jpg

RW9.jpg

RW7.jpg

RW plate2.jpg

RW plate1.jpg

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I think the early ones had the BBoT bridge and the later ones went to a Badass II. 

Not sure about that. I didn't check the bridge on the new one I tried (just before lockdown). The bridge on this one is a BBOT - but I do like the threaded saddles on it. Looks proper vintage to me.

1 hour ago, Marc S said:

Not sure about that. I didn't check the bridge on the new one I tried (just before lockdown). The bridge on this one is a BBOT - but I do like the threaded saddles on it. Looks proper vintage to me.

I think Nancy Johnson is thinking about the Highway 1 jazz. The Roadworns always had the threaded BBOT bridge with the threaded saddles, like yours.

• Like 1

EDIT: It's currently fitted with Flatwound strings - "Flats on a Jazz?" I hear you say :o I can let you have a nearly new set of Rotosound rounds, if that's your preference - I fitted them for a couple of weeks and then tried flats on the bass, and grew to like it that way :) 

+1 I've got TI Flats on my Flea Jazz and it sounds and feels just right. The right strings find the right bass. Round wounds on my Betsy. Flats on the Flea. 

This is a lovely bass you are selling. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mister RLP said:

+1 I've got TI Flats on my Flea Jazz and it sounds and feels just right. The right strings find the right bass. Round wounds on my Betsy. Flats on the Flea.....

Hmmm, maybe you have a point there @Mister RLP
I recently had TI Flats on a P bass, and it just didn't feel quite "right"... however, the same strings on another P bass, and it felt & sounded great.... odd eh?

I'd played another Jazz, fitted with flats and thought I'd give them a whirl on this bass - hey presto, I instantly liked it, so the strings stayed put.
I'm happy to leave the flats on this lovely Jazz and let the buyer take the nearly-new Rounds for free too - so they have the choice.

As you say, maybe the right strings do find the right bass? Cheers now

Edited by Marc S

• 3 weeks later...

All PM's replied to. Bass is still for sale..... but I picked it up again recently, and I'm still torn....
I may decide to withdraw this bass - it's so good. Alternatively, I could sell a recently acquired Squier JV Jazz... but again, that's a nice bass
Sigh, one must go :( 

Edited by Marc S

Hope you won’t regret... it’s the only bass I kept that long (3 years already) while my average is probably more in a 5-6 months area. And I had quite a few fancy ones (Fbass, Spector, Roscoe, Sadowsky just to name those).

I recently decided to keep it over my Spector Coda USA... and decided not to pull the trigger on an AVRI that I compared to that RW...it’s a keeper!! People talk about the Flea but it’s not even as good as my RW 😉

Edited by julfam
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, karlfer said:

Glorious bass, first year of release, possibly one of the 1st production run of late 2008 in preparation for release of the series at winter NAMM 2009 & subsequent availability.

Hmmm, thinks.

You did tell me once before @karlfer - but I think the "08" at the end of the serial number denotes 2008?
Sorry if I asked you this before... I had a feeling someone told me this, but couldn't find the post or message relating to it
Cheers again good sir :) 

EDIT: As a matter of interest (well, maybe to someone) I put some roundwounds back on this bass, as an "experiment" to see if I really do prefer a J with Flats
And I have to say, I really do prefer Flats on a Jazz these days :) 

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have now put the original control plate back on this bass

I've had several requests to ship this bass abroad - and I'd prefer not to do this.
Playing it again recently, I must say, I'm tempted to withdraw this bass, and accept that I can live with two similar handling + sounding Jazz basses (and a fretless one! lol).

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

Just wanted to make it clear that the revised price for this bass is now £750, and that the Kiogon Control plate is being sold separately (to another BC member)

£750 is an absolute bargain for a Jazz of this quality IMO. These are now over £1300 new. 
This one is one of the first batch available (see Karlfer's helpful post in this thread) and the early models are highly regarded.

As I've mentioned in the first post here, I did play a new version of this bass in PMT Cardiff - it was a nice enough bass, but not a patch on mine...
I'd almost forgotten, but I did play another, perhaps two years ago - which also didn't feel as comfortable as this one (not sure of the age of that one, but I'm assuming it was a newer model)

EDIT: I have now put my Squier JV Jazz up for sale - I only need one Jazz.

I really like them both - So whichever sells, I will keep the other one. In all honesty, I will miss either - they are both superb basses... but needs must...

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

Just replying to my own thread here, to say we're in Local lockdown in South Wales, and it looks likely that we'll go into full lockdown in the very near future
So it may be difficult, nay impossible to hand this bass over to any prospective buyer in the coming fortnight or so - however, that's still my preferred method of delivery atm

sorry.... I don't mind posting a 2 or 300 quid instrument but not a valuable, cracking bass like this beaut :) 

• 3 weeks later...