Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky-style knobs?

TRBboy

Hi folks! 

I'm on the lookout for some black Sadowsky-style knobs to fit 6mm solid shaft, just wondered if anyone knows where I could find any? Struggling to come up with anything suitable at the moment.... 

Many thanks! 😊👍

Ooh, there was a thread and and link about this very subject not so long ago. I can’t remember the company that was suggested as a supply though.

Hang on yes I can, it’s this bunch http://www.kilointernational.com

EDIT: Ah, whilst typing @ped has beaten me to it.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Has anyone actually ordered from Digikey? I assumed they were UK based from the URL, but it says products are despatched from the USA..... Could mean long shipping time and customs charges? 

A few times - it's AMAZINGLY fast. I'm pretty sure one order took less than two days. You can sometimes find the knobs on eBay or similar but in the end I went with Digi-key and will use again because they are so quick. These knobs aren't cheap wherever you get them really. 

Looking back through me emails I bought four knobs costing £25 and the shipping was £12 and £7 VAT. Maybe a group order would be of interest to people on here, or maybe you can find a UK manufacturer who uses them and see if you can buy some from them?

• Like 1

Thanks for the info @ped. 👍

Interestingly, I've just found what appears to be the same knob at CPC for £2.62! BUT I have VBT controls, and they only have 19mm ones.... Question is, do I use the same size knobs for all 3 pots, or use a slightly different style for the tone? 

https://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp/kb00020/knob-al-19mm-black-6-4mm-shaft/dp/SW05872

Good find! Get three! Just check they fit though as shaft size is a bit bigger and although they’ll have grub screws it can cause them to sit a bit wonky if they don’t fit perfectly (assuming the shafts are 6mm exactly)

3 minutes ago, ped said:

Good find! Get three! Just check they fit though as shaft size is a bit bigger and although they’ll have grub screws it can cause them to sit a bit wonky if they don’t fit perfectly (assuming the shafts are 6mm exactly)

Yeah I thought that, but then I guess the sadowsky ones must be about 6.35-6.4 also, as they'll be imperial sizes so. 025".

The only other snag is it doesn't say they have grub screws...  But surely they wouldn't be push fit on a round shaft? 

For that money, I may as well just order them though! 

@TRBboy

DM me if you are interested but I have 3x single knobs and 1x stacked Sadowsky style knobs that I was looking to sell (I have a fully paid up selling subscription).

I bought them for my custom guitar but the stacked knob didn't work too well with the Nordstrand pre-amp as the pot shaft was too long.  I ended up replacing them with East control knobs which fitted better.

They're in good condition - the shaft adaptors are installed ton step them down to 6mm but they should be removable if you ever need a larger diameter.  I bought them from the US on the Best Bass Gear website.

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 2

$2.49 each here

https://lovemyswitches.com/solid-aluminum-knob-the-eagle-black-16-x-19mm/

I've bought from these guys a few times, very reliable and, provided you don't blow the rent on them, you should come in under the import duty radar.

• Like 1

Received the delivery from CPC today, and I can confirm that these are DEFINITELY exactly the same knobs! I put the part number into Google and it came up with all the other (more expensive ones)!. And they look great. 😊

Interesting, but they have two Grub screws at 90 degrees, which means you can center them pretty well on a metric post without a brass Bush. I had bought some anyway though. 

Only two slight snags are that one of the knobs appears to have some manufacturing damage at the bottom, and that my blend pot is taller than the others, so that knob won't go down quite as much as I'd like.

I'll have to email CPC in the morning about the damaged one. 

Very happy overall though, they look great, and dirt cheap! 

IMG_20200720_220959.jpg

IMG_20200720_221015.jpg

IMG_20200720_221042.jpg

IMG_20200720_215800.jpg

Edited by TRBboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

If the threads come up far enough, put a washer between the blend pot and bottom of the control plate, which should bring the overall height down and allow you to have everything just right.

It would get to me, too 😉

Genius! I'll have a look later, see if there's enough thread. 😉👍

On 14/07/2020 at 06:56, ped said:

Many vendors sell tubular brass shims to alleviate that very problem. It's not too hard to improvise a DIY solution either, a cut up soda or beer can works OK for instance.

For those of us in or near the US, these guys have a few different Kilo knobs at really good prices: https://lovemyswitches.com/knobs/

Interesting on Digikey, in the past I've been told that Mouser (the other main player here) shipped parts from the US by default.

• Like 1

Inspired by this thread and being a long standing CPC customer, I ordered some replacement solder, flux paste and three of these bad boys. 1mm wider than the previously fitted dome knobs, but that really makes them feel more premium (could be the new kit placebo effect though).

98ADC520-BD5F-4D29-9625-263720265E2C.jpeg

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Inspired by this thread and being a long standing CPC customer, I ordered some replacement solder, flux paste and three of these bad boys. 1mm wider than the previously fitted dome knobs, but that really makes them feel more premium (could be the new kit placebo effect though).

98ADC520-BD5F-4D29-9625-263720265E2C.jpeg

And very smart they look too sir! 😍

• Thanks 1