Why become a member? ×

Your Favorite Delay Pedal ???

Baloney Balderdash

So, what is your favorite delay pedal?

Tell us a bit about it and why you like it.

My absolute favorite delay pedal got to be the Nux Tape Core Deluxe, which is a truly amazing, but actually quite cheap (about 63 Euro / 59£), digital emulation of the legendary Roland Space Echo tape delay.

Sounds absolutely amazing, and with the software editor you get access to all the features of the original tape echo unit, plus a handful of additional very useful ones.

Only downside really (I guess some downsides have to come with such a cheap price), is that the quality seems to be somewhat inconsistent from unit to unit.

Mine for example I discovered sucked my tone slightly, which though was fixed completely by the buffered pedal that I have sitting right in front of it in my signal chain anyway, as well as, even though every other settings dialed in with the editor was saved perfectly well to the individual respectively 7 modes of the pedal (representing the 7 possible combinations of the 3 tape play heads), just as they were supposed to, it refused to save the "Auto Tap" setting if activated (a setting that makes the pedal automatically detect every time you tap the foot switch more than 2 times in a row and make that your tap tempo, saving you for having to activate the tap function by pressing the switch down for 2 seconds first), which I managed to solve as well though, by downloading the Firmware Updater and Editor software again, even if it actually appeared to be the exact same versions as the ones I had previously installed. 

Also heard reports from some people having some noise issues with this pedal, which I think though was mainly an issue with some units out of the earliest batches of this pedal, and which seems to have been fixed with later versions.

Also this is not exactly common issues, even if it does certainly seem that issues are considerably less rare with these pedals than usual with more expensive and generally acclaimed brands.

But if you make sure to buy it from a company with good return policies it should really only be a minor annoyance that won't actually cost you anything but your time, and for the sound quality of the delay you get, if the pedal works as it is actually supposed to, which by far most of them in fact still does, for the relatively cheap price you'll have to pay for it, I'd say it's all absolutely worth it.

In my opinion the Nux Tape Core Deluxe is simply the absolute best sounding delay effect in pedal form at any price class. 

Here's how it looks:
[IMG]

And here's how the software editor looks:
o-1dtdbuj9tggj1ne414hp18r71beg1t.png

My preferred settings (this is for my bass setup, currently working on some songs for sort of a progressive psychedelic stoner rock solo project, which primary instrumentation is going to consist of just bass, drums/percussion and vocals, with the bass tuned in standard F# tuning, as in the 4 lowest strings of an 8 string guitar, 2 half steps above E standard tuning, and running the bass through an always on 1 octave up effect placed as the very first effect in the chain, mixed with the regular clean bass signal, giving an effect similar to that of an 8 string "octave" bass, with pairs of respectively bass and octave strings):

Wow: 70 - Flutter: 70 - Bass: 38 - Treble: 38 - Saturation: 80 - Reverb: 14

And then I have the Auto Tap feature turned on, so I can just tap the tempo without having to repress the foot switch for 2 seconds first to activate it.

Mostly using just Head 3, and without rhythmic note values synced, with the Mix control knob set at about 1 o'clock and the Repeat control knob set at about 11 o'clock.

But I might find use for the other play head combinations and other settings at some point as well.

Probably not going to ever use the SOS mode (the loop function that this pedal features as well) though, as I will probably get a dedicated looper pedal at some point anyway, but what a delay effect! :biggrin:  :party:  :sun_bespectacled:  :i-m_so_happy:

Here's a couple of YouTube demos demonstrating it (on guitar though):

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1