Why become a member? ×

Bass humour..: Buyer's Guide

Thundr

More of the usual unfunny, sexist sh!t that portrays women, especially wives, as complete idiots, or harridans hell-bent on denying husbands the enjoyment of their hobbies. Sad, boring, and mostly untrue.

But hey, the 'funny article' doesn't suggest comparing your guitars to her handbag or shoes, halleluja! And a guitar-playing wife is totally hot! That's all right, then.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

More of the usual unfunny, sexist sh!t that portrays women, especially wives, as complete idiots, or harridans hell-bent on denying husbands the enjoyment of their hobbies. Sad, boring, and mostly untrue.

But hey, the 'funny article' doesn't suggest comparing your guitars to her handbag or shoes, halleluja! And a guitar-playing wife is totally hot! That's all right, then.

And we sometimes wonder why there are so few of you on here!

• Like 1

My wife collects fans (the fluttering kind rather than the extractor variety).

Not only are they a cinch to store, she can get them past me with ease. 
She also plays the guitar (acoustic). Clearly, the best of both worlds! 

PS Mike, I think you could be cruising for a bruising...😂

1 hour ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Agreed, with the exception of the "mostly untrue". Frequently untrue would be more accurate. There are, sadly, people of both sexes out there who don't like the fact that their partner has a hobby or interest that doesn't involve them.

• Like 3

Just now, bassbiscuits said:

I’ve never lied to my wife about buying a bass, or anything else for that matter.

If she was that much of a joyless old hag I wouldn’t have married her.

Makes sense.

@dave_bass5, this has absolutely nothing to do with cancel culture or allowing art and satire, etc. Just thoroughly fed up with casual, unfunny sexism, and the article linked to above is no art. If no-one else sees this rubbish for what it is and calls it out, I will.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Makes sense.

@dave_bass5, this has absolutely nothing to do with cancel culture or allowing art and satire, etc. Just thoroughly fed up with casual, unfunny sexism, and the article linked to above is no art. If no-one else sees this rubbish for what it is and calls it out, I will.

Fair enough, i found it funny. 

I tend not to click on links i dont have any interest in or would find offensive.  

I assume this thread will be deleted by the mods?

Edited by dave_bass5

Mmmm

I place it in the “an article written only because I was told to write an article” section, and tbh, I didn’t find it particularly funny.

(but having said that, for some unaccountable reason all my basses are black, and to the casual observer they do look rather similar to each other......)

Just to throw my 2 cents in...

I don't disagree with @Silvia Bluejay, but, at the same time free speech comes with the price of sometimes not liking what is said. 

Humour is also hugely subjective... and in the current climate not a soul here would admit to finding blackface funny, yet I absolutely guarantee that most of you have laughed at it in the past (League Of Gentlemen, Always Aunny, Mighty Boosh to name a few). 

I feel that we are sinking ever closer to a society that will be permanently walking on eggshells. 

Anyone is free to be offended, but to live in a world where no one is ever offended would be absolutely terrible as it would literally mean no one could do anything as with 7,000,000,000 people out there, you can guarantee that someone will alwaya be able to find offence in what you do and say!

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Not offended, just bored sh!less by this stuff, and I have as  much right to object to it (as per free speech) as anyone else.

Agreed - the real stupidity in that article (having fortunately only skim read it) is that it would have been so easy to just make it how to get it past your partner and leave the gender Male/female/trans out of it

• Like 3

Just now, Cuzzie said:

Agreed - the real stupidity in that article (having fortunately only skim read it) is that it would have been so easy to just make it how to get it past your partner and leave the gender Male/female/trans out of it

But that's not the guys life...

He's writing from his experience so it's contextually correct. 

That's akin to saying that all romance novels written thus forth must be gender neutral for fear of offending someone, the result would be no-one would ever buy a romance novel again as no one, bar a very small (but no less important!) slice of society, would identity with the content.

Tailoring everything to neutrality is not the right way to go in my opinion.

• Like 4

I’m female and often find these things funny (I accept the vast majority of relationships, it’s a male who’s the guitarist/bassist, so can happily just switch the joke round in my head). This one was rubbish. Can’t argue with the logic on #7 though...

4 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

That's akin to saying that all romance novels written thus forth must be gender neutral for fear of offending someone, the result would be no-one would ever buy a romance novel again as no one, bar a very small (but no less important!) slice of society, would identity with the content.

This. Most people who play bass or guitar are male and this one thought he’d write an article about sneaking stuff past his wife which he thought might be amusing. It’s just fluff and easily ignored. And should probably be taken with a pinch of salt too. I showed my wife and she just said ‘we’re not as daft as you think we are’ with a grin. And that’s the appropriate response imo. 

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Hmmmmm, I know what you are trying to say, but it just doesn’t quite cut it in this day and age, by all means use your experience to form an article and make it correct.

The novel or romance novel thing doesn’t quite run true though, to write a good novel you need to project a viewpoint from all characters involved in whatever ‘romance’ or situation - even taking Harry Potter as an example, the series of books were about more than him.

This is trying to dumb down one side of the story, and was it his actual experience.......

Think it was just some light hearted fun  my wife is really supportive of my bass addiction but gets cross with them everywhere but on the flip side her hobbies drive me bonkers 

If the article was worded he/she would it of been ok

I think sometimes the pc brigade get offended too quickly no offence lol

• Like 1

My wife (or should I say my non-specific gender life partner) just doesn't care any more! There's 28 'keeper' guitars/basses in the house at the moment and frequently there's another few being worked on for re-sale... 

To quote her directly "Just buy me something pretty and I'll forget about the 'new' guitar". Ours is a partnership of compromise! 😁

We are folk of different strokes, differences should be celebrated and shared, not chastised and forced into neutral pigeon holes for fear of offence. 

I get offended on a daily basis by many things, we all do, thats life! If I live a life with never experiencing offence, I wouldn't be who I am today. Embrace offence!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Hmmmmm, I know what you are trying to say, but it just doesn’t quite cut it in this day and age, by all means use your experience to form an article and make it correct.

The novel or romance novel thing doesn’t quite run true though, to write a good novel you need to project a viewpoint from all characters involved in whatever ‘romance’ or situation - even taking Harry Potter as an example, the series of books were about more than him.

This is trying to dumb down one side of the story, and was it his actual experience.......

Balls to 'this day and age'. That I find offensive!

To submit to the current culture of everything must be neutral and even is an utterly impossible goal. Life is not even, equal or neutral, to try and insist it should be is setting yourself up to fail as life will never be this peachy walk through the park where everyone is exactly equal to the next person.

I long for an age were the thought of race, gender, personal preferences etc. aren't even a consideration anymore, where you could be trans, straight, black, male, blue, unspecified and be looked upon in the same light as the next person, with no judgement. 

BUT I do not long for the day where everything is forced neutrality. I have my interest, they may not be your interests, but I have the right to be able to access content that appeals to my interest. We are not all the same, we like different things, life is a beautiful tie-dye of different appetites, just because someone chooses to be trans doesn't mean we can't still read a book where the love interest is male/female. Nor does it mean that I (as a man in a male/female relationship) should de-value another book written where the relationship portrayed is based on a different paradigm. 

To grey everything out would be a crying shame and totally the wrong way to celebrate our differences.

• Like 4

I have absolutely no problem with offensive humour, as long as it’s actually funny and can be quite clever.

Mightn’t always be my cup of tea, but that‘s my problem to deal with.

Not offended by this - I just think it’s just cr@p!

(Files alongside jokes about mother in laws and women drivers etc etc).

• Like 5

Aaron Cheney has the right to post unfunny, tired and cliche-ridden articles. And, having read said article, I now have the right to ignore all future offerings from Aaron. Which I certainly will. World keeps turning, we move onward and upward.

• Like 3