Why become a member? ×

Duck Dunn

stewblack

2 hours ago, Len_derby said:

Indeed. There’s an interesting interview with Steve Cropper in the current issue of Mojo. He says ‘(Booker) ..wasn’t able to get along with Lewie Steinberg very well.’ Sounds like there’s an intriguing back-story there!

Yes, that's where I read it too.

9 hours ago, chris_b said:

The Mar-keys were a bunch of school kids, including Duck Dunn and Steve Cropper. They made a record, Last Night, which we did in my school band.

I thought the Bar-Kays were Otis Redding's touring band.

Yep, Otis Redding's backing band was indeed the Bar-Kays ("Soul Finger" being an instrumental hit in 1967), 4 of whom were tragically killed in the plane crash later that year. 

53 minutes ago, chris_b said:

My school band opened the first set with Last Night and the second set with Soul Finger. Stax is imprinted on my soul.

I envy you! One of the things I would love to do before I stop playing is to play in a really good soul band with a horn section. I'd thought about trying to get a section attached to one of my current bands, but that's quite difficult as they prefer written arrangements etc...

Saw Duck at the Festival Hall with the Blues Brothers when they promoted the 2000 movie. He and the Colonel just seemed to have a ball playing.

In the Otis footage note there’s no sign of any monitors, big Marshall 4x12’sand a brass section, how on earth do they hear anything or just play by instinct!