Why become a member? ×

Hiding Rog's Dots

Andyjr1515

I recently did a veneer job for Rog (see Build Diaries) and presumably it was an OK job because he entrusted me with his BEAUTIFUL Bass Collection 4-string to do something really scary!  Changing retro-fitted Abalone dots for some ebony ones to get it back to as close to 'dotless' as possible!

Here were the dots (the photos are a bit out of sync):

1NniQjWl.jpg

This is not a difficult job - but it's not for the faint-hearted.  Or for those who don't sharpen their chisels properly :)

I only started taking photos after I'd already got one out - so ignore the missing dot in this shot.  First task is getting a dint in the exact centre of the shell.  I use a very sharp-pointed punch:

5BMcOJ9l.jpg

Then a 1.5mm drill in the centre dint.  (I told you the photos are out of sequence...here you can see the sharpie blackness Rog has been temporarily using on the other abalone dots):

gYY1Szzl.jpg

Then the slightly scary bit - both for the owner and for the modder...especially if they value their bradpoint drill bits - drilling out the shell! ;) :

WrqqL17l.jpg

Which gives you the new chambers:

45Cimb2l.jpg

Which you fill with some ebony dots, wood-grain aligned and glued with epoxy mixed with ebony dust:

0WtQBd7l.jpg

Then  trimmed flush with super sharp chisels:

zQmEw1xl.jpg

Scraped flush with single-sided razor (actually held in both hands):

RoFhXPVl.jpg 

Which takes off all of the previous finish and therefore has to be done for all fret positions for an even finish:

fF7a43Tl.jpg

Followed by a fine sanding with a piece of scrap maple high-precision mini sanding block:

mbgqR4pl.jpg

And finished with a whisper of good quality danish oil to reseal it all:

WWZumZ2l.jpg

DNdZ6Svl.jpg

And lastly go and buy a new brad point drill xD

• Like 8

Thanks Andy, a fantastic job again, I know it was only a vanity thing but Bass Collection SB basses always had un-dotted fret boards and, as this is one of only two SB801's to exist, I wanted it putting back to as original as possible, I have the original black knobs in the case and the remains of the original pre-amp so if someone is really brave one day they may be able to salvage it....until then the Glockenlang replacement will have to do (yes it does sound 10 times better than the aged original pre-amps!)

Thanks again Andy!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Nice Job... Hand tools and fine skills I really like the plain look...

might have to go for the sharpie look... prolly cost more to de-dot than the cost of my Ibby 200...

Less expensive than you might think, the biggest cost to me in doing this job was importing Ebony dots from somewhere overseas, Andy actually charged me very little for the fitting work.

• Like 1