Why become a member? ×

Chorus pedal question

Thunderbird

9 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Also check the JAM Pedals Waterfall as there is a model dedicated for bass too. Not cheap is the least you can say, but once you've heard it, you'll throw all others to the bin...

https://www.jampedals.com/waterfall/

I have the 'Ripply Fall', which is a 2 in 1 pedal with the 'Waterfall' chorus and the 'Ripple' phaser and I love it but its the first chorus pedal I've owned so not had to chuck anything else away.  Thomann have many of the Jam catalogue in stock at reasonable prices but if anyone is keen on ordering one, make sure you get the bass specific version.  Your link is to the guitar waterfall, there is a 'Waterfall Bass' here: https://www.jampedals.com/waterfall-bass/

Edited by BillyBass
  • Thanks 1

Usually when I see the Donner and Mooer equivalents, if they have the same control, I've assumed they are just rebranded items.

There is also the Mooer Ensemble Queen for bass if you're worried about any tone loss on the "guitar version". Youtube is your friend for this, plenty of reviews and comparison videos to get your teeth (or ears) into.

Edit: And after reading the whole thread  I see you already knew about the bass version and looked at youtube... 🙈

Edited by BassThing
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Please can I deepen, widen, and even enlarge on the question of the bass guitar chorus pedal? 

I am engaged in a lifelong search for the perfect bass chorus effect. 

I just bought yet another but the only way it scratches my particular personal itch is by blending it with a second chorus pedal. 

Which is fine, I get a sound I like, but my question is this:

Are all bass chorus pedals inherently subtle?

They all seem to need maxing out before they do anything. I had one which others swear by and I couldn't even tell if it was on!

I wonder if I'm after something that doesn't exist. 

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

Please can I deepen, widen, and even enlarge on the question of the bass guitar chorus pedal? 

I just bought yet another but the only way it scratches my particular personal itch is by blending it with a second chorus pedal. 

They all seem to need maxing out before they do anything. I had one which others swear by and I couldn't even tell if it was on!

What chorus have you been using?

I really like the sound of the old DOD Icebox, although I mostly use a TC Electronic Gravy. Both of those can get a pretty extreme if you want, without going too crazy. They are good sounding pedals. The Eden one is cool too, but a bit of a pain because it runs off 15 volts. None of those are particularly expensive, but they are good sounding pedals. 

6 hours ago, stewblack said:

I've only ever had the jam ripply fall so I'm not sure how it compares to others but I use it for a cover of '24 hours' by Joy Division.  I have it on about half way, with the speed on about halfway too.  It gets way too wobbly if its on full, I'd probably start feeling seasick.

11 hours ago, Doddy said:

What chorus have you been using?

I have had loads of them over the years. I see you mentioned the Eden 15v one. I had that, and it was too subtle for me. I don't mean I disliked it, more that at its most full on settings it sounded like it was at what I consider minimum. I always wanted to be able to push it more

@BillyBass I have heard great things but sadly these are out of my budget. 

2 minutes ago, stewblack said:

@BillyBass I have heard great things but sadly these are out of my budget. 

It is a luxury item, hand painted in Greece and, for me, it was a completely unnecessary purchase.  I was stuck at home during lockdown fuelling my GAS in-between practise sessions by watching pedal reviews and the like online.  I bet you can find a similar sounding pedal for a lot cheaper (that isn't hand painted in Greece).

11 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

It is a luxury item, hand painted in Greece and, for me, it was a completely unnecessary purchase.  I was stuck at home during lockdown fuelling my GAS in-between practise sessions by watching pedal reviews and the like online.  I bet you can find a similar sounding pedal for a lot cheaper (that isn't hand painted in Greece).

Yeah but it'll never be as cool! 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, stewblack said:

Have you tried the Source Audio Gemini? It has every conceivable chorus, incl Dual and Quad for extra thickness. You can also program it with Flanger and Phaser too.

You can plug it into your phone,and you can tweak the wave shape/EQ/blend as well as the usual rate/Depth etc. There's also a library of models of EHX/Boss etc as much chorus as you can shame a stick at,if you've the patience to tweak things with your phone.

Try to find a Boss Chorus CE-2 which is very close to the JAM Pedals Waterfall (for bass as there's also a guitar version). As said before, to me the Waterfall is the best chorus pedal to date.

By the way, where do you place it in your signal chain ?

Edited by Hellzero
F*cking big fingers

On 01/10/2020 at 16:45, stewblack said:

Not sure if its true but I was told if you put a boost pedal in front of a chorus it makes the chorus more wobbly and aggressive I just thought it would make it louder but im no expert 

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Try to find a Boss Chorus CE-2 which is very close to the JAM Pedals Waterfall (for bass as there's also a guitar version). As said before, to me the Waterfall is the best chorus pedal to date.

By the way, where do you place it in your signal chain ?

Tuner-compressor-octaver-dirt-chorus.

Were I to get another pre-amp, it would go after the chorus.

Sorry guys been crazy busy. Update. Actually had a rehearsal tonight and got to hear myself at a decent level, through proper cabs and in context. 

The MXR I just acquired with a bit of dirt behind it sounded so very good, I am much happier now. 

I needed to hear it like that and I actually ended up easing it off a little. Turns out I like a slightly more subtle sound. It was a joyo orange juice feeding into it and honestly I didn't want to turn them off! 

I will definitely examine other options as and when the chance arises. I may one day want a real crushing uber chorus sound, but right now I'm much happier. 

• Like 1