Why become a member? ×

Acinonyx from Nordstrand

Mykesbass

15 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Is the web address to find out about a headless Ibanez REALLY headstockdistribution.com???

Yup, they are the UK distributor for Ibanez. Also absolutely useless, so not surprising that they didn’t spot the humour in this when submitting it!

• 4 months later...

I really like the look of these. The main issue I have is that I’d find the tone that suits me and never touch the buttons again. It’s a bit of a waste of buttons. If they did a VVT version I’d go for it.

2 hours ago, Trueno said:

I really like the look of these. The main issue I have is that I’d find the tone that suits me and never touch the buttons again. It’s a bit of a waste of buttons. If they did a VVT version I’d go for it.

I have one... and you are correct!  ;)  However, how many of us genuinely tinker with onboard controls at a gig?  You can use your amp EQ to dial in the tone you like after finding the combo on the bass that you like.  Think of it as a P bass... it does one thing and it does it well.  :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I have one... and you are correct!  ;)  However, how many of us genuinely tinker with onboard controls at a gig?  You can use your amp EQ to dial in the tone you like after finding the combo on the bass that you like.  Think of it as a P bass... it does one thing and it does it well.  :)

It might have to go back on the GAS list...

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Trueno said:

Well, Sonia

I might as well tell you I put a Nordy PJ set in my MIM Mustang a while ago and they are truly awesome.

Bit of a fan here too - have one of your 5 string P pickups in my Shuker, and am still trying to work out how to justify owning an Acinonyx - love the look and the video reviews I've seen. 

Good to see you on here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nordygrrl said:

Hi All,
Sonia here from Nordstrand.  Gonna be skulking around here so if you have any questions, I'll do my best to keep up!

Love your pickups! Have some Big Splits in one bass and an MM5.4 in another :)

• 7 months later...

I am hoping to revive this thread. I note that quite a few BassChat folks have bought these but I also note that there have been quite a few sold on here too. I hear nothing bad about it in the various reviews available online but then they don’t use it long term.

It would be great to hear what the long term experience is from any owners out there. Is it something that you can use as your only bass at a gig, or do you find yourself just using it to get a particular sound on a couple of songs in a set? Is it a one trick pony, or an all rounder? How does it hold up to gigging, especially those push buttons? What about the narrow nut and string spacing: too cramped, or a joy to play?

Thanks in advance for any insights. I am fighting serious GAS, tempered by the fact that you can only pre-order at the moment (definitely a good thing for my credit card bill).

20 hours ago, Obrienp said:

I am hoping to revive this thread. I note that quite a few BassChat folks have bought these but I also note that there have been quite a few sold on here too. I hear nothing bad about it in the various reviews available online but then they don’t use it long term.

It would be great to hear what the long term experience is from any owners out there. Is it something that you can use as your only bass at a gig, or do you find yourself just using it to get a particular sound on a couple of songs in a set? Is it a one trick pony, or an all rounder? How does it hold up to gigging, especially those push buttons? What about the narrow nut and string spacing: too cramped, or a joy to play?

Thanks in advance for any insights. I am fighting serious GAS, tempered by the fact that you can only pre-order at the moment (definitely a good thing for my credit card bill).

So I've only had mine about a month and a half, but it was bought used so the bass itself is fairly old and I've already used it for quite a lot of stuff since I got it.

You definitely can use it as the only bass for a gig, especially a function gig where the tone isn't so important and being in the right place of the mix is what matters. It's disgustingly good at sitting in a mix. If it's a gig where tone is more important, then there's a chance it won't fit the vibe because it's a very vibey bass but if it's not your only bass then I see that as a positive not negative.

For me a bass is more of an all rounder if it has 1 or 2 sounds that just work really well and then you change the rest with how you play - so my perspective is very different from people who like lots of pickups with a bunch of knobs. But in my experience the bass is extremely responsive to how you play and so it handles a very wide range of situations very well.

It's very light and extremely well built, and the buttons are from an 1176 compressor so essentially guaranteed to last long term.

I like a very wide, flat neck with fairly high action, but I've got mine set up with low action and its lovely to play, never uncomfortable.

I also primarily use mine for use with effects pedals, lots of synths and EDM wobbles and it does play with effects better and more consistently than even my 2 grand stingray.

• Like 2

Had mine a year or so but it isn't my only bass (not by a long chalk).  However, I'll still pick it up or play it in preference to a few significantly more expensive basses.  

Is it a 1 trick pony... hmmm just about but what it does it does well.  I have my favourite button settings to get a core tone and then I simply use my amp to tweak the sound.  This is no worse than a P bass or many other instruments with limited onboard options.  Saying all of that, if I pick up a Jazz bass or a 2 pup instrument with 3 band EQ etc, I find my favourite sound and then use that.  I'm not sure I know many bassists who tweak their onboard tone settings through a gig, set it at sound check and then play.  :)  

The neck is slim but not silly, if you want a big baseball bat or chunky P style neck then look elsewhere.  Again, maybe I'm weird but I can happily swap between basses and I wouldn't say that I find one 'the best', I'm happy so long as the action isn't stupid (which no bass should have).

The weight is an absolute pleasure btw!  ;)  

7 minutes ago, Stingray64 said:

So I've only had mine about a month and a half, but it was bought used so the bass itself is fairly old and I've already used it for quite a lot of stuff since I got it.

You definitely can use it as the only bass for a gig, especially a function gig where the tone isn't so important and being in the right place of the mix is what matters. It's disgustingly good at sitting in a mix. If it's a gig where tone is more important, then there's a chance it won't fit the vibe because it's a very vibey bass but if it's not your only bass then I see that as a positive not negative.

For me a bass is more of an all rounder if it has 1 or 2 sounds that just work really well and then you change the rest with how you play - so my perspective is very different from people who like lots of pickups with a bunch of knobs. But in my experience the bass is extremely responsive to how you play and so it handles a very wide range of situations very well.

It's very light and extremely well built, and the buttons are from an 1176 compressor so essentially guaranteed to last long term.

I like a very wide, flat neck with fairly high action, but I've got mine set up with low action and its lovely to play, never uncomfortable.

I also primarily use mine for use with effects pedals, lots of synths and EDM wobbles and it does play with effects better and more consistently than even my 2 grand stingray.

Many thanks for that detailed feedback. I was reading reviews on the Talkbass forum yesterday and the GAS is building to irresistible levels! It’s good to get a UK perspective. It sounds like the perfect bass for me.

I don’t need a huge range of tones, just two or three good ones that I can call on easily and the push buttons sound like the perfect solution for that. The other requirement is for a bass that sits well in the mix. 

16 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Had mine a year or so but it isn't my only bass (not by a long chalk).  However, I'll still pick it up or play it in preference to a few significantly more expensive basses.  

Is it a 1 trick pony... hmmm just about but what it does it does well.  I have my favourite button settings to get a core tone and then I simply use my amp to tweak the sound.  This is no worse than a P bass or many other instruments with limited onboard options.  Saying all of that, if I pick up a Jazz bass or a 2 pup instrument with 3 band EQ etc, I find my favourite sound and then use that.  I'm not sure I know many bassists who tweak their onboard tone settings through a gig, set it at sound check and then play.  :)  

The neck is slim but not silly, if you want a big baseball bat or chunky P style neck then look elsewhere.  Again, maybe I'm weird but I can happily swap between basses and I wouldn't say that I find one 'the best', I'm happy so long as the action isn't stupid (which no bass should have).

The weight is an absolute pleasure btw!  ;)  

I know what you mean about setting your tone and leaving it there. I don’t need anything much more than a P Bass for the kind of music I am playing at the moment. I was thinking of using this with the blues band I play in, so really just a couple of traditional tonal variations are fine. If I can call those up using preset buttons and some amp tweaking, so much the better.

I certainly don’t need a club like traditional P Bass neck: I have smallish hands and arthritis in my left thumb. Consequently, I have had to go short scale recently to be able keep playing. The Acinonyx sounds as though it would be perfect in the circumstances and the lightweight would help with a 3 hour gig we have coming up. Unfortunately, I don’t think I will be able to get hold of one before that and my one in one out policy means I’ve got to select a victim to be culled: difficult!

Edited by Obrienp
  • Like 1

Well, the GAS got the better of me, so I have ordered one in Lake Placid Blue from the Bass Gallery. The wait starts now and I think my victim is going to be my Ibanez EHB1000S. I will be sad to see it go but one in one out is the rule ☹️.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked up a Surf Green one on Friday. Sorted out the slightly loose  volume control ( knob prised off, tighten nut, knob pushed back on) and all is fine.  Lots of fun, especially with the Mute pushed in! I've got huge hands but have no issues with the neck even though I have a Telecaster Bass with a neck twice the width ( slight exaggeration!).

Anyone know the size of the allen key for the bridge saddle grub screws? Have been through every allen key I've amassed playing Bass for nearly 50 years and none fit....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

Just picked up a Surf Green one on Friday. Sorted out the slightly loose  volume control ( knob prised off, tighten nut, knob pushed back on) and all is fine.  Lots of fun, especially with the Mute pushed in! I've got huge hands but have no issues with the neck even though I have a Telecaster Bass with a neck twice the width ( slight exaggeration!).

Might I ask if that was new, or secondhand? If the former, where did you get it? I’m getting a little impatient waiting.

19 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Anyone know the size of the allen key for the bridge saddle grub screws? Have been through every allen key I've amassed playing Bass for nearly 50 years and none fit....

1.5mm works best for me out of what I've tried.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stingray64 said:

1.5mm works best for me out of what I've tried.

Thanks, can't think why I do not have that size as it is the same as US Fenders. I also got a reply from Nordstrand (as below) and realised its a T5 too, and I do have a set of T's already!

image.thumb.png.7cb2a49a7a02f56eca0c910399d6efdf.png

Edited by yorks5stringer