Why become a member? ×

Acinonyx from Nordstrand

Mykesbass

I think it’s a really clever move to be fair!

Being able to find a sought-after bass aesthetic (Panther II) and offer it whilst also allowing Nordstrand to enter the instrument/bass market without resorting to another obvious J or P type instrument. The price point seems great too. Nice balance of not-too-cheap (low quality) but affordable and a nice choice of colours. I’ve been seriously considering one since I saw the first pics!

• Like 1

Not often you see anything marketed as ‘weird’, and a stretch to agree with ‘menacing’, unless someone was swinging it at you.  

I definitely will not be buying one but I’m glad it exists, looks a lot of fun.  

Not the bass I'd buy - however, if I found one at a jam or at a friend's place, I think I would love to try one. If it turns out to be as much fun as it seems, I just might have to get it...why is the headstock so ugly though T_T

In any case, finally starting to see some more interesting ideas and experiments in bass land - about time! Let's keep experimentation going - well done Nordstrand!

Edited by akabane
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Drax said:

Not often you see anything marketed as ‘weird’, and a stretch to agree with ‘menacing’, unless someone was swinging it at you.  

I definitely will not be buying one but I’m glad it exists, looks a lot of fun.  

I think it's in reference to the actual animal, not the bass!

I’ve been following the development of this bass for over a year now and have to say I love it. FWIW I seem to remember Carey Nordstrand talking about the switches in a video months ago, saying he took great pains to have them be as reliable as possible. 

Black & Tort or Seafoam Green for me, I reckon. Though I won’t be in a position to get one until after the pandemic realistically.

• Like 4

Vaguely reminiscent of the Yamaha SBV headstock. 

But How much? (I find myself thinking this about many basses, but more than usual in this case)

It'd have to be quite something for me to reach for the debit card. I'd have to have played one first and it for it to have been demonstrably better than an Ibanez Talman or a P bass (etc)

Super clever really. Odd enough that- as a back up short scale I think a lot of people will go “why not” - it’s not trying to be a P or J, nice colours, he makes pickups so the switches and pups prob sound great and OVAL tuners - v cool

plus not silly price

I've been following the development of these and almost put a deposit down direct with Carey... Went for another ACG instead but I can see either one of these or a shorty Sterling in my future at some point. Or both if I win the lottery. 🙄

• Like 2

He seems to have taken every feature I didn't like from the cheap beginner basses that were around in the 60's and put them all into one bass. I know this is not a beginner bass but I can't look at it without that dislike kicking in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, chris_b said:

He seems to have taken every feature I didn't like from the cheap beginner basses that were around in the 60's and put them all into one bass. I know this is not a beginner bass but I can't look at it without that dislike kicking in.

I see where you are coming from - some of those crazy old Eastern European models spring to mind, but I still like it a lot.

43 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

For those who don’t know how the Acinonyx came about, here’s what it’s based on:

Goya Panther Bass

1A8051E1-D2C7-4436-91B7-50DD39F216C8.thumb.jpeg.1be4409dc704f65706ea2d262ac0ac41.jpeg

I used to love these but now, I think I actually prefer the Acinoynx!

• Like 2