Why become a member? ×

SOLD Pending - Lakland (US) Bob Glaub 44-64 PJ Olympic White - jazz neck - £1750
£1750
Manchester

three

In keeping with my efforts to deliver minimal hype advertising, for sale, a US Lakland Bob Glaub (44-64) PJ in Olympic White with rosewood board and very slender (Joe Osborn) Jazz neck with 1.5" nut.

The bass is all original and a few years old (I"m not sure of the build date) - the serial is BG60* if this means anything re: dates.  It has been played but has minimal play-wear, most notably a minor scuff on the top horn, a small dink on the underside (under the volume knobs) and a few small and shallow impressions on the reverse of the body.  The neck is perfect and the marks on the body are what I'd consider to be very minor.  I've tried to photograph any imperfections in the images, though the impressions are too small to register.  The body colour has started to mature but isn't exactly yellowed.

The bass is professionally set-up with D'Addario 35-95 nickels and has a ridiculously low action - probably far too low for most players (though it can be raised, of course). Playability, for me, is superb - really fast (if that's your thing) and extremely slick with the Lakland rubbed/oiled neck.

Basic specs are:

Oly white finish on Alder (I think)

Maple neck with rosewood board and birdseye maple dots

Hipshot tall shaft and tapered tuners

Tort 4 ply plate (nicely figured in my opinion)

Dunlop dual strap locks (I don't have the strap ends and use Fender rubber blocks rather than a strap lock system - these work really well on the oversized pins)

Weight is 8lbs 12ozs (that's about as accurate as I can get with a digital scale) - the bass feels really light for a PJ and given the shape is extremely well-balanced

I can supply this in a reasonably padded (excellent condition) Fender gig-bag if collected.  I don't have a hard case but can ship in a generic tweed hard case for an extra £50.

Collection from Manchester or shipping to UK and most of Europe (at cost and at the buyer's risk - I can also insure if preferred for an additional fee).  I have a good box and lots of heavy-duty bubble-wrap.  No trades thanks - the bass is only being sold as I'm moving to short-scale almost exclusively and retaining an active long-scale.  The price of £1750 is firm and I suspect it's a bargain - I'm taking quite a hit here and you'll see that similar basses tend to go for significantly more.

Please let me know if there are any questions or if you need more images - I have plenty of the latter

826C7C0F-263D-456C-A2CD-98733CC57EA7.jpeg

145A097F-E61B-4A85-A5F5-8788131EF249.jpeg

99970DAC-9BD1-4BD0-83C1-3CD82527DBD7.jpeg

06DD4011-F0EF-4422-95B3-5D87B6FA9B94.jpeg

628A37F6-359C-4327-ACB4-419CBE002305.jpeg

8E2D1A7B-D87A-4C27-9971-D3885D56EAB1.jpeg

6E6612C7-AE7C-4C3F-9B36-8A66543F8601.jpeg

2B11B688-75A3-435C-8D4D-4C08F814B1E1.jpeg

3FAE1D70-809F-4CED-A5BA-D2AB14BD9E9D.jpeg

DAD6D063-4E07-40C6-A725-DB81CCDD4859.jpeg

2907F268-0D2B-4551-BFF7-55DB1BCEC971.jpeg

2983E50C-533E-44C3-9905-7CC81F60C3F3.jpeg

94F6E64D-FC09-48D3-AF25-4D9661B1FC28.jpeg

C1BC8A51-C230-4C35-9D74-00FFD340A96B.jpeg

D40237A4-47B3-4B6A-9819-A2179BA64573.jpeg

Edited by three
  • Like 7

That's a really good question - I hadn't really thought about it.  It's a clockwise turn to raise pitch and counter clockwise to reduce pitch, so I think that they're standard rather than reverse (though somebody may be able to educate me if I'm wrong here!).  They're the standard tuners that Lakland use on the more expensive USA series basses (but not on the Classic series as far as I know).  Good luck with the bass in customs - you're really in for a treat!  US Laklands are just stunning instruments IMO - build, fit, finish and playability is perfect

5 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Are these reverse-wind tuners?

2 hours ago, three said:

That's a really good question - I hadn't really thought about it.  It's a clockwise turn to raise pitch and counter clockwise to reduce pitch, so I think that they're standard rather than reverse (though somebody may be able to educate me if I'm wrong here!).  They're the standard tuners that Lakland use on the more expensive USA series basses (but not on the Classic series as far as I know).  Good luck with the bass in customs - you're really in for a treat!  US Laklands are just stunning instruments IMO - build, fit, finish and playability is perfect

Those are reverse-wind. After I asked I realised they probably would have been as they used these from the beginning but only switched over a year or two ago to standard-wind ones. 

Mine’s a Classic series and those come with ultralites. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Those are reverse-wind. After I asked I realised they probably would have been as they used these from the beginning but only switched over a year or two ago to standard-wind ones. 

Mine’s a Classic series and those come with ultralites. 

Thanks for this and apologies for my ignorance - I'd not thought much about it - I just turn them!  I've seen some Classics - superb basses and built to the same very exacting standards as the US series.  I actually rather like the ultralites too - I hope that the bass is with you soon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I thought I could sell something quickly then I’d have this without a second thought. 

I have a US Lakland J in a, very funky, custom refinish by Martin Sims that is great to play but it’s a shade too heavy for me to gig with. 

This is a perfect gigging weight I think. 

• Like 2

I've got the exact same bass but in black rather than  OW and it is a superb instrument,  probably the best passive Fender - style  PJ  you will find.  

I hope Lozz won't mind me giving a little bit of additional info. 

Going by the relatively  early serial no,  this bass  would have come from the factory with Lindy Fralin pickups as standard. Conventional wisdom is that the Fralins sound a bit more vintage than the Lakland pickups that are on my bass.

Also, the neck on these basses is not the same profile as the USA Joe Osborn model.  I know because until recently I had both.  The Jazz Bass- style  profile on the BG PJ  basses is a little bit slimmer and faster than the JO,  which is an  precise replica of Joe's 1960 Fender prototype.   The BG  Jazz necks  are modelled on a 63/64 Jazz profile, the classic slim pre-CBS design.  It's also worth mentioning that the necks on these USA Laklands are quartersawn and graphite -reinforced. 

When you look at the current price of standard new USA Fenders, this bass is a bargain. Especially when you consider the quality of these Laklands is equal to, if not better than, Fender Custom Shop.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Misdee said:

I've got the exact same bass but in black rather than  OW and it is a superb instrument,  probably the best passive Fender - style  PJ  you will find.  

I hope Lozz won't mind me giving a little bit of additional info. 

Going by the relatively  early serial no,  this bass  would have come from the factory with Lindy Fralin pickups as standard. Conventional wisdom is that the Fralins sound a bit more vintage than the Lakland pickups that are on my bass.

Also, the neck on these basses is not the same profile as the USA Joe Osborn model.  I know because until recently I had both.  The Jazz Bass- style  profile on the BG PJ  basses is a little bit slimmer and faster than the JO,  which is an  precise replica of Joe's 1960 Fender prototype.   The BG  Jazz necks  are modelled on a 63/64 Jazz profile, the classic slim pre-CBS design.  It's also worth mentioning that the necks on these USA Laklands are quartersawn and graphite -reinforced. 

When you look at the current price of standard new USA Fenders, this bass is a bargain. Especially when you consider the quality of these Laklands is equal to, if not better than, Fender Custom Shop.

That does it. I feel like I’m just postponing the inevitable.

@three - pm incoming

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks very much Misdee - and apologies to all - there was no intention to mislead, I'd genuinely thought that this was a JO type neck (though it is extremely slender as Misdee suggests).  I can confirm that this is a quartersawn neck with the graphite reinforcement.  I can't comment on the Fralin pickups - I haven't had this apart to take a look (and again, thanks Misdee - I wasn't aware of this detail).  To me, it the bass has a powerful voice but it is articulate and rounded.  Obviously, given the configuration, there's a fair amount of variety and tonal range.  This is my third US Lakland (I had a JO for a while - gorgeous bass!) and I'd concur re: the quality.  I've had a few Fender Custom Shop basses too and I actually rather prefer the Laklands in terms of playability - thought the Fenders were fantastic instruments.

• MB1 locked this topic