Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Tonepocket - earth buzz when plugged in

I love my new Ashdown Tonepocket, but I've noticed tonight that there's an earthing issue if I use it when it's plugged in and charging.  If I touch the metal knobs or the bridge on my bass I can hear the classic buzz, but if I use it unplugged for the PSU so it's just running on the battery it's whisper quiet.

Anyone got any ideas what's up?  Dodgy PSU?

I just tested mine.  Buzzes when charging using the supplied PSU until I touch the strings then it goes.  I've noticed this a lot when using headphones in gear that uses a 9vdc power supply (although this is 10v), not just the Tone Pocket. 

I took another instrument lead from the line out on the Tone Pocket and plugged it in to an amp, buzzing gone.  I don't think it's only the Tone Pocket that does this.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/07/2020 at 00:35, Muppet said:

I just tested mine.  Buzzes when charging using the supplied PSU until I touch the strings then it goes.  I've noticed this a lot when using headphones in gear that uses a 9vdc power supply (although this is 10v), not just the Tone Pocket. 

I took another instrument lead from the line out on the Tone Pocket and plugged it in to an amp, buzzing gone.  I don't think it's only the Tone Pocket that does this.

My Ampeg SCR-DI Pedal does exactly the same with headphones. My solution is the same too, although the amp doesn’t even have to switched on!