Why become a member? ×

Best dance tune ever???

TheGreek

On 11/07/2020 at 04:31, Baxlin said:

In the Nottingham Boat clubs (yes, really, 3 dance venues next to each other by the Trent) in the late 60s....

‘Sock it to ‘em, JB’  by Rex Garvin and the Mighty Cravers

I kid you not!

(don’t know how to post a YouTube link, sorry!)

Oh yes, I have a copy.  Classic stuff!

1 hour ago, Rich said:

No single tune in particular, but I loved Trouble Funk and the whole go-go thing.

Sad that Go Go never really made it in the mainstream. I seem to remember Chuck Brown's Bustin' Loose was promoted in the early 80s here, but can't see any evidence of it troubling the charts. Although it was an older track I think it came out amongst all the much smoother Jam & Lewis style tracks that dominated at the time. Shame, as there's some great tracks that we missed out on.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2020 at 04:31, Baxlin said:

In the Nottingham Boat clubs (yes, really, 3 dance venues next to each other by the Trent) in the late 60s....

‘Sock it to ‘em, JB’  by Rex Garvin and the Mighty Cravers.

When the band I still play in formed in 1968, this was our signature tune.

Awesome number.

Good calls there viz 808 State and Groove Armada. Saw 808 at Blue Dot fest last year 👌 and Groove were due to headline this year but 😞.

For my money this bunch were better than similar-ish combos like The Prodigy and The Chems.  Could've plumped for any of Risotto but eeny meeny'd this.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

IMO you could stick almost any Fluke track in this thread. I'm a sucker for any of the mixes of "Electric Guitar".

Ditto that. In fact it would've been worth any Fluke fan's time and dosh buying all their CD singles as these all had several mixes of the main tune. Electric Guitar mixes are def among the best as are the Atom Bomb ones.

I have always been a rocker at heart but certain songs from other genres really float my boat. I love reggae and as for dance, my era was trance. I adore this. I realise its not his tune but it just works!

Edited by ubit
  • Like 1

On 14/07/2020 at 13:36, xgsjx said:

I'll join in on the classic 90's EDM.  Love this one as it's written to be played by musicians & the bassline is a joy to play.

This has got the right amount of minor chords in the right places...its kinda moody and melancholic....brilliant feel.

The one guaranteed dance floor filler in my experience is 'I Will Survive'. Might say more about the age of the audiences I play to. What I find about things like Uptown Funk and Happy is that the production is so strong on the recordings that it is almost impossible to make an average function band sound anything like the original so I find they never really work.

Edited by Bilbo

15 minutes ago, ubit said:

I have always been a rocker at heart but certain songs from other genres really float my boat. I love reggae and as for dance, my era was trance. I adore this. I realise its not his tune but it just works!

It's a good'un for sure as is this version

• Like 2