Why become a member? ×

From the Bench of...

Si600

9 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I like that a lot.  There is something satisfying about a good mitre joint.  What angles did you use?

Fortunately you can't really see the bad mitre joints 🤣

36° and 54°. The jig wasn't bob on so they aren't quite right, but it went together without too much of a headache.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

Maybe you aren't quite ready to hand saw a chopping board from the back of a P bass but you are well on the way.

Oh I am, but it won't be the same thickness from one end to t'other.

• Haha 1

A tablet stand, or picture stand if they so wish, for my parents.  Softwood, oak and mahogany. We talk to them over Skype every week and for some reason known best to my dad he insists on having his iPad in portrait orientation, so the stand at the back can't be used,  They prop it up on a book. This started out life as the prototype for my sister's Christmas present.  It showed me how not to to do it .

I couldn't think of anything sensible to make out of two wooden triangles so bashed this together.  The finish isn't great, the chip outs are quite ugly in places, but it works and as a design/functional mechanics I like it.

IMG_20201212_113236.jpg

IMG_20201212_113313.jpg

IMG_20201212_113348.jpg

Edited by Si600
  • Like 3

This is the Christmas present.  Ash, oak and mahogany.

Better, but still not perfect finishing. Again, the mechanics and the design I like, and if (when) I make another it will be broadly the same but with some detail and process changes.  I thought of better ways to make it as I was going along.

IMG_20201212_113028.jpg

IMG_20201212_113056.jpg

IMG_20201212_113150.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Sorry, I should know better than to get Tufty shredding Rickies. Let's cut straight to the chase...

image.png.054a061f54a0a1e9ec78f091222b1ba5.png

I expect this sort of nonsense from Teebs.

I thought you were better than this.

:on_the_quiet:

Edited by Skinnyman

2 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

What's it for? Cigars? A Luger?

So far its just annoying. :/

What it's for is to practice joinery and woodworkery. It became a box to put MDW's Christmas present in to give it a purpose. 

If that annoys you then you can take your "mates" and their thread derailment back to the DoI. Get orf my thread.

Edited by Si600
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Si600 said:

What it's for is to practice joinery and woodworkery. It became a box to put MDW's Christmas present in to give it a purpose. 

If that annoys you then you can take your "mates" and their thread derailment back to the DoI. Get orf my thread.

You summoned me to this thread :/

7 hours ago, Si600 said:

Box of ash and mahogany.

@Ricky 4000doesn't believe it exists.

With this ^^^^ 😗

54 minutes ago, Si600 said:

Hiya!

:) 

I'm new on here - why has ze German made an empty box?

• Haha 2