Why become a member? ×

From the Bench of...

Si600

On 14/07/2020 at 21:49, Dad3353 said:

The whole job took two months, basically. It's survived three winters since, and has proved to be maybe even better than anticipated. Well worth the effort; it took me nearly three decades to firstly work out how to do the job, then gather the monies required, and finally have the courage to bite the bullet and do it. No regrets.

You get the Diçk Strawbridge award for excellence.  Just don't ask where the carrot has been.

image.png.622648eaeae737fff6ff795568167912.png

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Thanks 1

Nicely done Si.

My neighbour is knocking out nest boxes for birds among other things.  I've managed to liberate some of his old stock of timber for my long term build as he needed the space tidying up to go into production, so to speak.  Having retired relatively recently and then the lockdown it's kept him sane.

I can see this thread having legs.  Especially if you make another three equally clever ones.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I made another thing.

If I was going to make another I'd make a planing depth jig first so that they're all the same thickness and square. I quite like the rustic cobbled together look, but I can do better.

IMG_20200811_170601.jpg

IMG_20200811_170611.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

A marking gauge, nice job si, the colour and grain looks like mahogany 

Thank you. The mahogany is from an old mantle shelf from our last house. It got put in the garage for a rainy day and the movers just grabbed everything that wasn't nailed down! It cuts really nicely, but is a bu$$er to plane.

• Like 1

I do feel that I've only made one thing though, the spinny garden thing for MDW.

The other three items have been tool storage or a tool, which don't count in my head!

Oh, and the new angled sides for my pedal board.

• 1 month later...

This is one of those things where those who know will nod sagely and approve (hopefully), and those who don't will nod sagely and go 'Er, WTF?' in their heads.

IMG_20201024_162844.jpg

IMG_20201024_162855.jpg

IMG_20201024_162918.jpg

From the design/tutorial by Paul Sellers: 

Edited by Si600
  • Like 3

The weekends pottering. 

A pocket for the sharpening board, a little moveable tool tray that hangs on the side of the bench and a rather wobbly drawer.

The drawer is an "it'll do" rather than done properly. It really needs a proper four square frame building around it and then that fixing rather than screwing bits of wood together and crossing my fingers.

IMG_20201026_115551.jpg

IMG_20201026_115600.jpg

IMG_20201026_115608.jpg

IMG_20201026_115624.jpg

IMG_20201026_115636.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Mildly unsatisfactory hour and a bit at the bench. First up I had to trim a block of mahogany lengthwise for the next project. Giving myself plenty of wiggle room I marked it up at 25mm and set to. Of course, I cut it bang on the line and pretty much parallel. I've got a 4mm oversize to deal with now.

On a related, I've been getting bits of shaving caught between the plane iron and cap iron so I thought I'd adjust the leading edge of the cap iron to close the gap. Of course, I made it worse.

• 3 weeks later...

An advent(?) star sort of commissioned by MDW. She sees things, and then drops hints about how easy it would be to make. In this case, she wasn't wrong.

It's got process imperfections, but it's all a learning curve.

It's also the first thing I've put my makers mark on, thanks again @Fishman. The decal paper didn't have enough varnish on so it's a bit fuzzy on one edge.

IMG_20201206_110956.jpg

IMG_20201206_111007.jpg

IMG_20201206_111020.jpg

Edited by Si600
  • Like 4