Why become a member? ×

From the Bench of...

Si600

@LukeFRC, I think it was, asked what I was going to build with my new vice so I thought I'd start a little thread with my projects in, luthierie or otherwise, more otherwise I'm afraid.

I present to you my first piece, I call it Rebate with Pocket, Plane on Wood (2020). It's just me playing with a rebate and router plane really.

IMG_20200710_192909.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I love the way the paradigm of modernist aesthetics are contrasted against the warmth of the wooden Material chosen, and with the hand made construction that recalls the ideals of William Morris’ manifesto and the craft heritage you recall of of your ancestors 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 11/07/2020 at 20:30, Richard R said:

I am impressed.  Especially since I cut the top rail of a home made compost bin ½" short less than an hour ago!

I'm actually pretty rubbish at squaring off the ends though.

1 hour ago, Si600 said:

Do you want WIP photos or are you happy to have the finished creations artistically staged and photographed?

I think just the finished items. We can pull back the green curtain on other threads,  but this should just be artistically finished items, which were created on a bench.

• Like 1

Oh, just to make it clear, this isn't just from my bench. Feel free to chip in with anything that you've made.

Rules:

Things must be of general interest to the BC audience. I'd love to see your 7 1/4 GWR King Class (even more to drive it) or 100cc V12, but that's not BC.

No WIP, unless you're so squeeeeeeee about it that you have to.

No luthierie, do a proper diary thread for that.

No massive projects, do a proper diary thread for that.

No Model A hotrods, by order of @Dad3353.

Clear? Then carry on 🙂

23 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Did you make it on a bench?

:laugh1:

Some, yes, but the major pieces were hacked about on the ground, or supported on other pieces. Basically three of us, Our Eldest, a friend (seen through the window...) and myself as Foreman & Overseer. I've a whole series of pics showing the wall coming down, and the finished product, if anyone wants to see the 'Before' and 'After'. B|

Mmm... Fish fingers, garden beans, courgettes and tomatoes... That's better. Now, where was I..? Ah yes, the Building Site...

Here's the wall that needs removing...

gqLZPtj.jpg

(Our Eldest can be seen, preparing the top of his future workbench, using the ubiquitous WorkMate...)
Here's the footings being prepared to receive future masonry, calculated to be plumb to the roof (unlike the present wall...)....

448KBje.jpg

We can't just remove the wall, or the roof would come down. We'll do it in stages, from left to right. Here's the timid start...

CsuSY9g.jpg

... which quickly becomes ...

ccjmdz5.jpg

Our Friendly Neighbour helps out with spreading the rubble over the forecourt...

dUFrnPs.jpg

The masonry gets started, and the double-door frame set in...

VqgknZ2.jpg

Meanwhile, Our Eldest prepares crosspieces for the timber framing...

B9IlF8x.jpg

I've bought some wood from a local sawmill; it's Douglas Fir. How appropriate..!

hmbV7Rt.jpg

Getting serious...

CVXwH5z.jpg

What came down must go up. The roof is now shored up on the left...

jH8rzdn.jpg

Cutting in to receive the transoms and stuff...

HzvrH03.jpg

... and planing...

chSo5eH.jpg

Now a bit more can be demolished...

UOBldWc.jpg

... and its masonry laid ...

7gAeSJO.jpg

A good friend has some old beams we can use, so we go to collect them...

63PmwFH.jpg

Another upright in place...

jp2YwvQ.jpg

... so more demolition ...

yfVEkvr.jpg

... and masonry...

H6QiIWj.jpg

So far, so good...

7EpytFk.jpg

Windows, flooring, whatever...

uqkrZRF.jpg

... and we start filling in the gaps, using a double thickness of expanded cement blocks, leaving an air-gap...

XfWeqqj.jpg

Here's me, contributing to the effort by taking the photos...

fMHt6hk.jpg

Getting there...

FyuyGgN.jpg

... precariously...

Ecp3DAe.jpg

Nearly finished ...

zFDzA5J.jpg

All is fitted and mostly cleaned up ...

QX045gx.jpg

A good coat of protective paint on the woodwork; this is a year later...

aQlyWrS.jpg

... and a more recent photo...

hjOTKDS.jpg

The whole job took two months, basically. It's survived three winters since, and has proved to be maybe even better than anticipated. Well worth the effort; it took me nearly three decades to firstly work out how to do the job, then gather the monies required, and finally have the courage to bite the bullet and do it. No regrets.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 9

The ground level is toilet, bathroom, workshop tool cupboards, freezer and washing machine, the upper floor is where I make my model 'planes, and hosts the hot water tank. The roof space is an attic, for storing boxes'n'stuff.

My first, second, third and fourth dovetail joints!

Also some bits of wood with holes in.

IMG_20200715_222345.jpg

Oops, I forgot. They're supposed to be artistically staged and photographed. Tomorrow, the second one is in it's clamps at the moment.

Edited by Si600
  • Like 2

Actually, before I forget, as there are some proper craftspeople on here, any idea what's going on here?

It happened when I was cutting three of the dovetails, the middle broke out rather than cutting. Chisel not sharp enough?

IMG_20200715_205356.jpg

Edited by Si600
Added pictures.

39 minutes ago, Si600 said:

My first, second, third and fourth dovetail joints!

Also some bits of wood with holes in.

IMG_20200715_222345.jpg

Oops, I forgot. They're supposed to be artistically staged and photographed. Tomorrow, the second one is in it's clamps at the moment.

Nice job 👍

• Thanks 1