Why become a member? ×

Pop stars with secret skills

kusee pee

Lockdown browsing has led me to some gems where pop artists have shown their stripped down skills and their true musical and songwriting talents have been allowed to shine.  Admittedly, this is an 80s edition due to my age but all three of these mainstream pop stars had me seriously impressed even though already a fan.

So what other artists maybe wouldn't impress that much on record but have got serious talent when stripped down?

• Like 2

All three ofthe artists in OP were 'Pop Stars1 in the eighties.... but had previous form as 'serious musicians' before that....so if you know that it is not a surprise to see there stripped down performance.

It would surprise me if someone who I regard as a front for producer-led music did a great self-acompanied acoustic performance...Sinnitta , Kylie etc.

I wonder how many such artists could?

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Nik Kershaw.  Saw him do a one man show at Union Chapel, up London way, very talented guy.  Funny, too, and a great raconteur.  Great touch on the guitar.

I understand Lady Gaga can actually sing and play instruments when she chooses. 

4 hours ago, DaveFry said:

please bear with me ive only been into this moosic m'larky for a short time,,,,,so mr Seal goes up to girlie busker says ere let me av a go ( or she says ere mate come an av a go ) and he plays as a lefty,,,so was it strung for the girl who was playing it right handed or is mr Seal very clever playing it upside down ? maybe he learnt guitar that way to start with ? 

it looks to be strung  right handed 

Edited by nikon F
added last line

2 hours ago, nikon F said:

please bear with me ive only been into this moosic m'larky for a short time,,,,,so mr Seal goes up to girlie busker says ere let me av a go ( or she says ere mate come an av a go ) and he plays as a lefty,,,so was it strung for the girl who was playing it right handed or is mr Seal very clever playing it upside down ? maybe he learnt guitar that way to start with ? 

it looks to be strung  right handed 

Just so .

3 hours ago, nikon F said:

... maybe he learnt guitar that way to start with ? ...

That's par for the course for many lefty players, and there are more than a few virtuoso players that play that way round. A little unusual nowadays, with lefty guitars and basses being made a bit more than in the past, but not as surprising as all that. Many lefties play piano, or saxophone, too, or even drums.B|

3 hours ago, sykilz said:

Eddie Vedder's not really a pop star, but this is pretty cool. And for chaaaaaaarity too.

That's more like it !

Secret skills should be along the lines of Adele running really good Runequest campaigns or Stormzy being the reigning South-East England Yahtzee champion :)

• Like 1